• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC plastic and copper coins

13 posts in this topic

Am I crazy or is someone else noticing a similar problem with the plastic NGC uses to encapsulate coins? I have noticed, especially on proof copper coins( indian cents in particular ), that the plastic overlying the coin is grainy and "pebbly" for lack of a better word. It makes it very difficult to get a good look at the coin, almost hiding the coin. I have noticed no such problems on proof copper coins slabbed by PCGS. It would seem to me that the very best grade plastic should go into the production of slabs, especially given the fact that NGC is a premier grading service. What good is it to have a great coin slabbed at a high number if you have trouble seeing the coin??

Welcome "BigMoose"

We haven't noticed with any regularity the problem that you mention, but occasionally holders do get scuffed which can impair the view. I've seen this in all grading service and government holders.

John

I have seen this problem too. It seems to have appeared just recently. It's not blatant, but there is a noticable bubbling or a rippling defect happening within the plastic itself, which, when occuring over the coin, will make it difficult to see the coin clearly. The outside surface of the slab seems to remain smooth, so the defect is occuring within the plastic or even on the inside surface of the clear plastic. I don't think it would show in a scan.

i have noticed that the plastic used with NGC slabs is problematic; i have a very difficult time taking good pictures of my coins because the images come out too hazy and picks up too much ambient color.

i have the same problem with icg holders as well, but not with pcgs holders.

evp

Thank you for your reply! The micro-bubbling or rippling effect within the plastic itself is what I am talking about. I was beginning to think I was losing it but your reply has restored my faith in my eyesight. Its the plastic itself that is defective. I am not talking about scuffs on the surface. I have never seen this problem with a PCGS coin and I have around 80 or so gem proof indian cents in PCGS and NGC holders. I have noticed this problem only for the last year or two.

John, thank you for your reply. I will look you up at the Baltimore Show in March and show you some examples of what I mean. It looks like the plastic itself is defective- grainy or bubbly and it does hide the coin to some extent. I have noticed this problem only for the last year or two. I really like the NGC product and especially like the way copper is showcased around the white insert, but the overlying defective plastic is a real distraction.

Yes, the plastic is noticably pitted under magnification. If visible to the naked eye, you have great eyes! But, this could detract, no matter what.

Hoot

I've only saw one NGC holder with the bubbly plastic. It can make it difficult to see and photograph the coin. The coin that I saw was at a show, and was recently graded. NGC needs to check out the composition of the plastic, and see what's going on with it.

I've not really noticed this problem. The slabs can get scuffed up and that is a problem.

The biggest risk with plastic hoders, including slabs, with copper coins is moisture. Trapped moisture can cause big problems. That's why its' a good idea to store you coins with silaca gel, and to keep the temperature as even as possible in the place where you store your coins.