• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some opinions on grades Updated

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys I have this 1903 Morgan which was graded by NGC a while ago I'm thinking of resubmitting it because in hand the coin looks awesome. Even with my poor quality photos you can see that there are no marks at all on the coin. I only have a obverse picture and no great lighting because I was in a bank at the time. Just from the photos what's your opinion?

sS1xCdG.jpg

Need better pictures to grade this coin.

My thoughts as well. The main focal point on Mrs. Liberty is too dark to see any hits or contact marks.

Additionally, the luster looks subdued. But I have no way of knowing if it's due to the images or the coin, itself.

The bottom line is that when you're seeking grade opinions, much better images are required for them to be anywhere close to meaningful.

Need better pictures to grade this coin.

My thoughts as well. The main focal point on Mrs. Liberty is too dark to see any hits or contact marks.

Additionally, the luster looks subdued. But I have no way of knowing if it's due to the images or the coin, itself.

The bottom line is that when you're seeking grade opinions, much better images are required for them to be anywhere close to meaningful.

+1

I think the coin has a hit around the eye area. Beyond that there's nothing that will keep it from being MS 65. The fact that it's in a slab already and the luster in the high reflection areas looks awesome suggests it's got a lot going for it.

Pictures are tough to master. It's a constant experiment with lighting.

You are correct it is in fact a 65. I bought it for I think 150 bucks a few years ago. I have been doing research on coin photography and I have been able to get all the coin in meaning that all the marks show and nothing is hidden. Still learning.