• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Childs" Coins ??

7 posts in this topic

I know that the 1804 dollar was owned by Childs at one time but I cannot find anything else about the family's collection, the history of the collection and if the name brings any additional interest in a particular coin.

I have only seen one "Childs" labeled coin - a 1927 toned Peace $. I havent been able to find out anything about it or the collection or its sale. Google has not been my friend.

Do any of the numismatists on the forum have any information about the collection or links to information about it ? When and who sold it ? Any by chance does anyone have the catalog of its sale(s) ?

Thanks in advance...

Thanks Rockhobby...

There just isnt a lot of info out there... which is somewhat surprising since they did own one of the most sought-after coins in the world.

I believe that many of their coins were bought directly from the mint, at or near the time of issue. Check for their Proof Morgan Dollars, among others.

TonerGuy - I too would like to know more since Childs is in my family heritage. Please share with me when you find more info!

Wow. Very interesting.

From PCGS...

Walter Henry Childs collected coins between 1870 and 1906. After he passed away, his son and later his grandson continued collecting and adding to the Childs Family Collection. In 1945 the family purchased the finest known 1804 dollar (PCGS graded PR68.) The Childs Family Collection was sold by Bowers and Merena in August, 1999, the 1804 dollar bringing a then record price for a U.S. coin of $4,140,000.

The Childs Family proof Barber dime, quarter, and half dollar set is truly superb. All of the coins are PR65 to PR68 quality, with many Cameos. The coins were believed to have been purchased directly from the U.S. Mint by Walter and C.F. Childs. There is no explanation for the missing 1913 dime and quarter, and the very low grade 1913 proof half. Perhaps Mr. Childs couldn’t make it to the Mint that year for some reason. This was a great set of Barber proofs, put together the year they were issued!

So the next question is - does anyone have the catalog from the 1999 Bowers Merena sale ?