• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Ebay Changes - Mandatory Returns and Other Goodies

14 posts in this topic

Returns. We updated this section to clarify that if eBay hassle-free returns are applied to your listings, you authorize eBay to remove the refund amount from your PayPal account, place the amount on your invoice, and/or charge your payment method on file. By the 2015 holiday season, all eligible domestic returns on eBay will be eBay hassle-free returns and sellers may not remove hassle-free return settings from their listings. We updated this section also to reflect this future change...

Money Back Guarantee. We updated this section to reflect changes in the Money Back Guarantee, specifically that sellers are responsible for return shipping costs if an item is not as described and that, if an eBay-generated return shipping label is used for return shipping on items not as described, we place the return shipping label cost on the seller's invoice.

So who determines whether the item was not as described for purposes of seller liability on return shipping? What is to prevent abuse? It seemingly applies to both raw and coins certified by the top TPGs. I'm guessing that it is FeeBay's way of continuing to abuse sellers.

It's been going on for a long time now...

Sellers can specify "no returns accepted" in their listings, but if a buyer opens an "item not as described" case with either eBay OR Paypal, he would most likely get his refund under the "buyer protection" plan. This is true even with coins removed from their holders, "unopened" boxes and envelopes, bullion-related its with changing values etc..

In many cases, eBay won't even bother asking the seller if the returned item was in the original condition. All they need to see is that the item was delivered back to the seller (the buyer uploads the return tracking number) and they then ask the seller to refund, or sometimes just take the money back and refund the seller.

If a buyer returns a coin to you, but actually send you back an empty box, there is very little you can do to protect yourself. If his feedback score is strong, you're basically screwed.

Just reinforces why I stopped selling on Feebay over a year ago. When they started taking a piece of the shipping fee that was the last straw for me. These new changes leave the seller wide open for abuse. I'm not willing to take that chance. Just my opinion.... Although I still buy on the site from time to time, it's not worth the hassle for me to sell.

Have a great day

Jim

I have only sold slightly over 100 lots in total and essentially nothing in the last four or five years. Fortunately, I never had any problem you described. But I agree with your sentiments though I will note that on one occasion, the seller (a forum member) did not bother to reply to a message of mine when I tried to return an item as they permitted in their listing. I still have that coin.

It's all about meeting "earnings expectations" They have to "beat" analyst expectations by that $.01 because we can't have it otherwise, now can we?

Ebay will have to remain increasingly competitive with other auction options in order to maintain their market viability. Sellers who have massive liquidity and are able to weather the storms of problem transactions will survive and may continue to thrive, those with limited capital for inventory, it doesn't take many problem transactions to make their lives difficult. Sellers of mainly raw coins, and those who sell mainly overgraded coins or currency like NNC, etc. may feel the pinch, but returns of numismatics are usually not that expensive. Unhappy customers should have return options in most cases.

I have no problem with returns...I have been offering a 2-week return policy for a number of years. The fact that I sell coins as described with top notch images and a buyer can now return the coin under not as described and I eat the shipping costs is the biggest crock of do do I have seen them pull yet. I will be addressing this ad nauseam with Ebay as I get burnt by another one of their poor decisions as it relates to sellers.

But, what if I don't want to return the coin?

eBay will charge the seller for that too. It's called the "satisfied customer fee".

jom

Wonderful – as I was going to list some coins for sale in September. Yonico are you sure about that empty box comment ?? I would think insurance would cover that and all returns would be required to show proof of insurance. Also taking a coin out of a secure holder I hope would void any return privilege.

Also taking a coin out of a secure holder I hope would void any return privilege.

I wouldn't count on that.

I have been told that as well and I am pending a return on a coin in a sealed GSA package and I spoke with Ebay customers service and they told me I would not have to refund if it has been cracked out when it arrives. We will see if they honor this conversation as I have always been told this but the proof is in the pudding. I plan to record myself opening the box so I have proof as to what arrives...which may not mean anything but I am still going to do it (thumbs u

Returns. We updated this section to clarify that if eBay hassle-free returns are applied to your listings, you authorize eBay to remove the refund amount from your PayPal account, place the amount on your invoice, and/or charge your payment method on file. By the 2015 holiday season, all eligible domestic returns on eBay will be eBay hassle-free returns and sellers may not remove hassle-free return settings from their listings. We updated this section also to reflect this future change...

Money Back Guarantee. We updated this section to reflect changes in the Money Back Guarantee, specifically that sellers are responsible for return shipping costs if an item is not as described and that, if an eBay-generated return shipping label is used for return shipping on items not as described, we place the return shipping label cost on the seller's invoice.

So who determines whether the item was not as described for purposes of seller liability on return shipping? What is to prevent abuse? It seemingly applies to both raw and coins certified by the top TPGs. I'm guessing that it is FeeBay's way of continuing to abuse sellers.

Ebay keeps moving towards the buyer's side. Great for them, worse for sellers. :P

Also taking a coin out of a secure holder I hope would void any return privilege.

I wouldn't count on that.

I have been told that as well and I am pending a return on a coin in a sealed GSA package and I spoke with Ebay customers service and they told me I would not have to refund if it has been cracked out when it arrives. We will see if they honor this conversation as I have always been told this but the proof is in the pudding. I plan to record myself opening the box so I have proof as to what arrives...which may not mean anything but I am still going to do it (thumbs u

Very smart idea IMO.