• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Storage Options for coins

11 posts in this topic

OK, I need to get ideas for the best way to preserve my coins if they are stored in a bank safe deposit box. I've heard of "Eva Dry" but that is a bit too large for my SDB.

What do you all use if anything?

Thanks

jom

OK, I need to get ideas for the best way to preserve my coins if they are stored in a bank safe deposit box. I've heard of "Eva Dry" but that is a bit too large for my SDB.

What do you all use if anything?

Thanks

jom

Maybe some silica gel would be good. Absorbs moisture and it doesn't require too much.

Thanks for that.

Yeah, I know about silica gel but I thought there might be some other options out there I might not know of....such as the aforementioned Eva Dry.

jom

You're correct; there is a lot more you can do than just silica gel which should be only marginally effective (even when renewed regularly).

I use the Intercept Shield Boxes for slabs, & for coins in 2x2 flips, but they've gone out of business. I use pretty hefty amounts of silica gel but I think some coins are still changing color. I buy the silica gel in a 1 quart jar and have cloth bags with metal zippers custom made for it.

The next step up would be an Oxygen getter. This stuff absorbs O2 which I'm guessing will be 10 or 20 times more effective than just absorbing water vapor. However I don't know if those are regenerable: probably require special apparatus if so. (like hydrogen reduction). I think you've talked me into it. I should buy some oxygen getter. I'd guess it should also trap any sulfur containing gasses?

Also flushing your box with N2 or Ar gas wouldn't hurt but that stuff would probably leak out unless well sealed in a plastic bag or something. CO2 would probably also do it.

I've avoided buying those "corrosion inhibitors" as I afraid of putting any junk on the surfaces of my coins. I've a degree in Chemistry & an advanced degree in Chemical Engineering which means that I know about corrosion, but unfortunately do not earn the money necessary to buy any decent coins. I did get 15 (fifteen) 40% clad halves and 6 (six) 90% halves in one trip to my bank in mid 2013 though!!! Still these hardly need much corrosion protection...

This is one of the reasons why I love toned coins...

I have never been that concerned with this issue. But if I was into red copper or blast white coins Im sure storage conditions would give me fits in my sleep.

Thing with toned coins is, they aren't necessarily done toning. They continue to change, just like red copper. I wouldn't be quite so nonchalant about their storage, unless you are only keeping them for a couple of months.

For me - once removed from the toning source the process slows and/or stops completely.

I have never seen a coin continue to darken for years once they are out of the album/envelope/Capital holder ect. Maybe its where I live though. Little humidity and little heat.

For me - once removed from the toning source the process slows and/or stops completely.

I have never seen a coin continue to darken for years once they are out of the album/envelope/Capital holder ect. Maybe its where I live though. Little humidity and little heat.

Humid places like Hawaii and Florida are places that they will continue to tone or darken. I even tried it since I lived in Hawaii and both oregon

Metal Safe is one such option. It is a corrosion inhibitor, but is not applied to te surface of coins. It is just a capsule that goes inside be SDB. I use this with silica gel and never had an issue.

The best storage method is Intercept, with a dessicant placed inside, for example, a safe deposit box. As a collector, I have tried everything and Intercept is the only thing, IMHO, that works safely effectively and cost efficient. I actually started Coin Armour to protect my own coins since Intercept Shield went out of business several years ago.

If you would like to look at our products please visit us at:

Shop Coin Armour

Or feel free to send me an email with any questions to:

info@coinarmour.com

thanks,

Chris