• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent 1970-D 10C Rev of '68 (FS-901) PCGS Submission

3 posts in this topic

Several weeks ago I took an interest in the transitional reverse varieties on the 1969 and 1970 Roosevelt dimes after reading an article in CONECA's Errorscope.

It's not a very much discussed variety (nor is the Roosevelt series the most valuable among collectors, adding to its obscurity), but I think it's a neat little nugget of U.S. coin history.

In the Cherrypickers' guide as FS-901, it seems that a 1968 proof reverse die was used on some 1969-P, 1970-P, and 1970-D business-struck Roosevelts. I wrote a whole thing about it back in May. Check it out here or check out the Errorscope article.

After I posted that journal I submitted the nicest 1970-D FS-901 that I found from the roll search to PCGS. I'm not a PCGS member, but NGC doesn't recognize the variety. So I had to submit the coin to PCGS through my local coin shop, which was sort of expensive. And it did take quite a while for the coin to be returned... like three months. But it came back with a pretty good grade for the variety... MS 65 ...so it was all worth it.

1970-D Rev of 68 FS-901

PCGS Population

MS 64 -- 12

MS 65 -- 5

MS 66 -- 2

MS 64 FB -- 0

MS 65 FB -- 0

MS 66 FB -- 1

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/511016?redir=t

mt5y8g.jpg

28mp6yg.png

Here's another one that I just got today from eBay with a clipped planchet:

dokv1y.png

This one has a good reverse strike compared to most others that I've seen. But I wouldn't think this coin would grade above MS 62. It might even be a strong AU. But it's pretty cool with the dual error.

Good Eye Luke!! (thumbs u

I found a nice group of DDO's in the wheats which I guess Justin is going to get. I allso found a wheat clipped 1935 that I added to my raw collection. :)

Later--Rick