• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sweeping changes to our coin product lineup plus classic coins coming back

13 posts in this topic

"A special coin release is being planned by the U.S. Mint in conjunction with the 2015 ANA World’s Fair of Money. Mint officials did not disclose details about the special coin."

So either Richard Peterson is an ID 10 T or this is his grand plan for totally ruining the U Mint Collector coin program for "collectors"!

Does Bozo NOT Read the papers??

"A special coin release is being planned by the U.S. Mint in conjunction with the 2015 ANA World’s Fair of Money. Mint officials did not disclose details about the special coin."

So either Richard Peterson is an ID 10 T or this is his grand plan for totally ruining the U Mint Collector coin program for "collectors"!

Does Bozo NOT Read the papers??

:)

Your posts always seem to make me smile, I think it, you say it.

If they release anything at the 2015 ANA I will not be there.

Why?

I was wondering that myself. I'm probably not going to be there either since I don't want to spend the dough to travel. But my decisions on going to a show isn't going to be dictated by what the Mint decides to release that day. I mean...who the hell cares?

jom

The U.S. mint officials should take a good long look at the history of the Post Office Department and the ultimate results of what happened after that agency issued a glut of commemorative postage stamps. They finally worn out the collector interest and the value of their products collapsed to below the face value on the stamp for many issues.

Since coins have a stated face value they were will be worth what it says on the piece, but this collector gouging is starting look like the story of the farmer who killed goose who laid the golden eggs. Some collectors are going to say "ENOUGH!" and stop buying. Others might get caught up on the hype at first, pay some speculative prices, and learn later that they have been "had."

I have more resources than many collectors, but my interest in burying my assets in this stuff is really waning. When we have a commemorative coin that celebrates the successful launch of the Twenty Cent Piece or the Susan B. Anthony dollar, we will know that that bureaucrats at the mint have really lost it. :insane:

When we have a commemorative coin that celebrates the successful launch of the Twenty Cent Piece or the Susan B. Anthony dollar, we will know that that bureaucrats at the mint have really lost it. :insane:

I have a much better proposal than a commemorative coin celebrating the launch of the SBA. When Jimmy Carter passes on, Congress should pass a law authorizing a 3/4 dollar coin that is the same size and composition of the SBA and have the same design as the SBA except the portrait, which would be of Jimmy Carter.

Now here's a better commemorative, the creation of a literal Carter Quarter

The U.S. mint officials should take a good long look at the history of the Post Office Department and the ultimate results of what happened after that agency issued a glut of commemorative postage stamps. They finally worn out the collector interest and the value of their products collapsed to below the face value on the stamp for many issues.

Since coins have a stated face value they were will be worth what it says on the piece, but this collector gouging is starting look like the story of the farmer who killed goose who laid the golden eggs. Some collectors are going to say "ENOUGH!" and stop buying. Others might get caught up on the hype at first, pay some speculative prices, and learn later that they have been "had."

I have more resources than many collectors, but my interest in burying my assets in this stuff is really waning. When we have a commemorative coin that celebrates the successful launch of the Twenty Cent Piece or the Susan B. Anthony dollar, we will know that that bureaucrats at the mint have really lost it. :insane:

I agree with these sentiments except that i am not sure the stamp comparison is equivalent. I do not really know.

In looking at the mintages, I don't believe that in many instances it is only or even primarily collectors buying this stuff, not to keep anyway. I believe that there are a not so insignificant minority of the non-collecting public buying them just as I assume and understand is or at least was true with proof sets.

On the collector side, I can see where many will eventually or potentially lose interest because just keeping your collection up to date with all the new issues is a significant expense for many, especially those who want a "70". And if the market price falls below the issue price as it did for many years with the 1987 Consitution $5 (until bullion prices increasd a lot), these are the people who are more likely to be aware of it and stop buying them.

The non-collector public, I am not so sure. In 1998, my manager at the time told he me had been storing older modern proof sets (I believe from the early 70's to 80's) for decades. He had a lot of them in a SDB. When I showed him what they were worth, he was disgusted that he had been wasting his money on fees.

As with classic commemoratives, I don't believe many of the events are worth commemorating. Since I don't buy any of them, I had no idea some of them even existed until I checked recently.

I believe the program would be better for the hobby if the number of issues decreased and was restricted to themes that are more widely viewed as significant.

What does Pres. Carter have to do with this?

:)

It's just that a Jimmy Carter 3/4 dollar coin that replicates the SBA in large ways would be a much better commemorative than the mint commemorating the launch of the SBA which was posted in an earlier post.