• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I am sure this is a old question but why the 1934-1938 Buff short set?

7 posts in this topic

I just wondered why the set is just 1934-1938? I did read Hoot's reasons on hid registry set but to me it don't make no since! I would ot thought 1930 to 1938 would make a better set. Maybe even 1929-1938?

Maybe I don't see a so-called type 3 nickel? I have a 1930-s that to me is just as well struck and has the "look" of the later years.

Thanks for the help! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Type 3 nickels begin 1916. Well-struck 1930 and 31 nickels pale in comparison to well struck 1934-38 nickels. But the reason for the 34-38 short set is simply that there is a gap in years (1932 and 1933) when the coins were not minted. Many nickels were minted and hoarded from 1934-38, making that a very collectable short series, even in gem quality.

Hoot

The two reasons that I immediately thought of have already been listed here. They are that there is a discontinuity in output, which I think many collectors would not want to see in a short set, and that it is likely that Capitol, or some other brand, marketed a holder designed for this range. The '34 to '38 set comes with twelve regular issue coins, which is nearly the same number as the Jefferson WWII set, which has eleven pieces. This allows the same outer shell to be used for both sets.

Hoot; It may be my eyes but I can't tell the difference in a high grade well struck 1930 and a 1934 - 1937. If this were the case all the 1938-D's should have a set just for that date, imo. I will admit I have trouble just telling a MS65 from a MS66 or even telling some MS64's from MS66's. What few MS67's I have seen do look a tad cleaner than the lower grades.

The gap in the dates 1932 and 1933 does make sense though.

I didn't think about holders and albums made for the 1934 to 1938-D. That is also a good reason.

Thanks Guys for the information! Us old folks can learn something new every now and then!!!

I still would of rathered to have 1930 - 1938-D set without the RPM's! I am going to have to send my NGC ms67 1938-D back to get the D/D put on the holder!

Out of the three high grade '66 & '67 '38-D's I have 2 are RPM's and neither is noted on the holder??

Howdy BankNote -

The 38-D/D is an easy one for the TPGs to miss, and in the past, they probably could have cared less. So if the holders are 5 years or more back, it may have been a matter of what was being attributed at the time.

Sounds like you have some great coins. Do you have a set up, and if so, what's the name?

Hoot

The set's name is "Monty's Bisons".

I have a long way to go on this set. I do have a few Buffalo Nickels at NGC/NCS at this time. I also have another small number that are either raw or ANACS graded. These will need to be sent in for grading before I can add them to this set. I think I will send in my 1938-D for the review as it is the D/D.