• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The best denomination to CRH

14 posts in this topic

Im on the hunt for silver, as much as possible. So here is my question, which denomination is best to look through ? Dimes, quarters, halves? My logic is that it might be smarter to look through dimes or quarters since they have a little less silver but I think that more people look through halves so I would have a lesser chance at finding them. Another possibility is nickels. In nickels you could possibly find v nickels, buffalo nickels pre1960 jeffersons and even 35% war nickels. Please post some of your findings here, all replies are helpful. Thank you.

Halves. If you want to know about my finds, well... lets just say I culled $25k in silver in 3 years, of which probably $15k was halves. Threads spread around through various forums detail some of my bigger scores. Several on CU.

Here's my biggest.

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=862232

And the YT vid of the unrolling.

I used the proceeds from that find to put a down payment on a much nicer car, ha.

That's up to you. I found nickels fun, so I always did more of those than I should have. For a while I was rolling through $10k in halves a week, but that requires a special setup as far as dumping goes.

One box of each isn't a bad place to start, then you can adjust from there based on your budget and desires.

CRH'ing is one of those things that depends largely on a few factors.... a few but not all of them being.... Your own personal budget/abilities, your own personal interests, your own goals and objectives. Also is going to depend on your area... Where I am (when I was doing it a couple years ago) There were banks that were better than other banks... some banks were a complete waste of time altogether. For instance; cashiers who would never let silver slip past them. For anyone who is familiar with CRH'ing, I have even ordered boxes of halves, only to pick them up and find that some silver feining cashier opened/searched them before I picked them up.... no prob, I just requested sealed boxes next time, nope... it happened again..

My point is OP, that you can ask all these questions until you are blue in the face..... and IF you find guys who are actually willing to answer these questions, (which any good CRH'er will not divulge the stuff that matters usually), but if anyone does, chances are that it will be very different for you than it is for them..... so you gotta get out there and hit the pavement...

As far as the original question, of what denomination is the best...... Halves are absolutely the best, and IMO, its not even a close second... Unless you can find customer wrapped rolls of anything..... I would buy all those I possibly could, denomination would not matter to me... you never know what you will find in a customer wrapped roll. with coinstar, and bank counting machines, those are harder and harder to find though...

Good luck, have fun. give us an update of how you do from time to time maybe a pic or two on your first good haul.

PS-my best was when a trip into a local credit union yielded almost 100 silver halves, more 90's than 40's and all for face value.... at the time it was just over $800 bucks worth of silver... lots of close seconds, but that was the #1.

Again, if anyone did answer this question, it would be different for you.

maybe start with however many they have, cause often they have none.... if they do have some, then buy however many you can afford.

Go buy some, and then go through them....

Here's a tip...... Do not dump at the same bank you bought them from.. ever!

In fact, I would suggest making a routine where you never ever dump at the same bank you buy from... not even if the banks are in different locations.

What banks are good to frequent?

My kid never has a problem at Bank of America. Whenever he needs halves, he just goes to the teller manager, and says, "Mom, can you please order me halves?"