• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No women on curreny?

4 posts in this topic

After seeing the President of the US speak today and then Steven Colbert make fun of the topic of no women on our money I couldn't help but wonder how he ever forgot lady liberty, Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, Helen Keller etc. Maybe they meant just paper money but even then did they forget Martha Washington on the series 1886 and 1891 US Dollar silver certificates or the 1896 silver certificate with her husband? Pocahontas was on the series 1869-1878 $10 US note I believe. I'm not sure who were on the educational notes but they were women. In addition to 3 commemoratives that I know. Again I'm not a collector of Barber quarters but I think it's a likeness of Liberty as is the Standing Liberty Quarter. The peace dollar used his wife as a model of Liberty etc. CAUTION A JOKE AHEAD: if we put a women on the $1 bill according to some it would only be worth .77 cents. Thoughts?

David

After seeing the President of the US speak today and then Steven Colbert make fun of the topic of no women on our money I couldn't help but wonder how he ever forgot lady liberty, Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea, Helen Keller etc. Maybe they meant just paper money but even then did they forget Martha Washington on the series 1886 and 1891 US Dollar silver certificates or the 1896 silver certificate with her husband? Pocahontas was on the series 1869-1878 $10 US note I believe. I'm not sure who were on the educational notes but they were women. In addition to 3 commemoratives that I know. Again I'm not a collector of Barber quarters but I think it's a likeness of Liberty as is the Standing Liberty Quarter. The peace dollar used his wife as a model of Liberty etc. CAUTION A JOKE AHEAD: if we put a women on the $1 bill according to some it would only be worth .77 cents. Thoughts?

David

The first real woman on a US coin was a foreign monarch---Queen Isabella on the 1893 Columbian Expo commemorative quarter.

There are lots of allegorical women on US and other country's money and real ones too. If a president dies if office they certainly should in most cases be given honors, as well they have. Even the men featured are idealized.