• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

question on the new star designation? and what you think

10 posts in this topic

could someone please ytell me the history of the star designastion? WHEN IT STARTED!

WITH WAHT COINS?

AND CURRENTLY WAHT COINS ARE ELIGABLE FOR THE STAR DESIGNATION?

HOW LONG HAS NGC BEEN doing the star designation for coins? and is there any where on the ngc website thst explains the star designations?

and waht have brern your experiences with the star designations?

sincerely michael

i think it is a good attribute overall it is positive to the market

This should help. It's from the first eNewsletter:

Understanding and Recognizing a Star

By John Maben

It is apparent that some coins of a particular grade are far more attractive than others of the same grade. That, in a nutshell, is the idea behind NGC's star designation. NGC defines its star designated coins as those that have exceptional eye appeal. The coin itself could fall anywhere within the grade it is assigned, i.e.: if it were an MS64 it could be at the lower end, mid-range or higher end of that grade.

Let me add that a star designated coin should not be thought of in the same way one would think of a "PQ" (Premium Quality) coin. When I think of a PQ coin, one that just misses the next grade immediately comes to mind. That coin may or may not have exceptional eye appeal. That is not what NGC star designated coins are all about.

Now for the logical question: How do the professional graders at NGC make the determination as to whether or not a coin qualifies for the star? Star designated coins can be either untoned (often referred to as "white" in some issues) or toned. In order for an untoned coin to qualify it must have full vibrant luster and be free of any distracting planchet irregularities, as well as distracting spots or blemishes. You may think this doesn't narrow it down a great deal. When this definition is strictly adhered to, it most certainly does narrow the field, as evidenced by the fact that NGC currently has designated far less than one percent of the eligible coins as being of star quality.

Making the determination on a toned coin is bit more complex and subjective. In order for a toned coin to receive a star designation, it must first be considered attractively toned without objection from the graders who inspect it. Plain and simple, if there is a single objection to a particular coin receiving a star designation upon quality control inspection, it loses the star. It also must have full luster to the extent that the toning does not impede the luster. Furthermore, it must be free of any obvious planchet irregularities and be free of any distracting spots or blemishes. The toning color can be of a single color or multicolored but cannot have any areas that are dark brown approaching black.

In applying star designations to applicable proof coins, all of the above criteria apply for toned coins. Untoned coins, however, must meet one of the additional criteria outlined below to qualify:

They display cameo or ultra cameo contrast on the obverse only.

Coins that do not qualify for cameo but which display cameo contrast on both the obverse and reverse that falls just short of NGC's minimum standard for cameo may receive a star. (Coins that display only a subtle contrast will not receive a star or a cameo designation.)

They qualify for the cameo designation and, in addition, have an ultra cameo obverse.

They qualify for the ultra cameo designation and, in addition, exhibit exceptionally intense contrast between devices and fields on both the obverse and reverse that exceeds by a generous margin that of the normal ultra cameo standard.

All eligible coins submitted to NGC are automatically reviewed for star designation at no additional charge. Coins already certified by NGC can be reviewed for star designation at a fee of $10 per coin and must be submitted under NGC's Designation Review service. NGC will continue to expand the eligible coin types for this designation. Stay tuned!

Finally, I leave you with a complete and current listing of the coins that NGC is now reviewing for the prestigious star designation:

Jefferson Nickels, mint state

Roosevelt Dimes, mint state

Washington Quarters, mint state

Statehood Quarters, mint state

Franklin Halves, mint state & proof

Kennedy Halves, mint state

Morgan Dollars, mint state

Peace Dollars, mint state

Eisenhower Dollars, mint state

Anthony Dollars, mint state

Sacagawea Dollars, mint state

All U.S. proof coins from 1936-1978

Silver Commemoratives 1892-1954

thanks for all the great information and links! i am going to save for future reference!

i think it is a good service and also all coins are reviewed for it and after thinking long and hard

it is ahead of its time!!

for me the utmost most important thing about any coin is its eye appeal

and yes eye appeal is a personal thing one mans trash is another mans treasure and so forth

but i think ngc makes a good start in that most all coins that receieve a star are exceptionl coins to most all collectors and maybe there might be some differences of opinion but overALL it does make you look twice at star coins in dealers cases and overall are really eceptional coins for their respective issue in terms of exceptional eye appeL AND FOR ME

and most to all star coins are ezsceptionAL OVERALL!

with many dealers and collectors i have talked all have said that over 95% of the coins they have seen which had the star designation the coins had dynomite!! eye appeAL

as you advance in coins and collecting this is where the most experienced advanced collecters end up

apprecaiting coins with exceptional eye appeal weather they be choice or gem or cameo non cameo ms etc and currently ngc does a reasonable job with the star designation

i am sure it is an art not a science but such is numismatics]]

it is a newly blazed trail so to speak but what i respect about the star designation is that you get a consideration on evety submission! which is reasonable to me!

after thinking about it i understand that coins is a personal thing but for me the star coins will almost always sytand out

sincerely michael

also what i like about this forum is that the ngc graders come on here and look around and are not afraid to comment

and even give links to other threads about the star

and post all the comments about the other threads dealing with the star issue and the comments all have different points of view

that to me shows respect and responsibility

sincerely michael

in other words a company ie ngc willing to listen and give the floor to anyone and will listen to all comments good and not so good

but still willing to listen and that is a good step towards communication and working with the collector community at large!

that is what i mean aboujt respect and responsibility

sincerely michael