• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1821 bust half dollar - GTG & Overton ?

15 posts in this topic

Just got this one.. Seller's pics below

Can't see from pics, but in hand it is brighter, and this must be one of the nicest toned bust halves I've seen in a while!

Lustrous and fully toned in blue/purple/pink, I gotta get this coin imaged and post new pics!

For now, care to guess the grade and Overton variety?

Thanks!

CC490CC4-D575-473D-B4C6-54F6104CB73F_zpsomx28xoi.jpg

774B6D05-8435-4F2F-8F86-6531160C8F36_zps5iqarath.jpg

Looks to be XF40. Overton O-107, an R3. Nice pick up. Look forward to your pics to see how the toning looks in hand. Sellers pics look very nice. A well traveled lady.

Carl

Looks to be XF40. Overton O-107, an R3. Nice pick up. Look forward to your pics to see how the toning looks in hand. Sellers pics look very nice. A well traveled lady.

Carl

(thumbs u

It is indeed O-107

And I'm still at work, so best I can do at the moment is these poor quality iPhone pics.. But they do show the color a little better than the seller's pics. Just tilt the coin a little against the light and it pops out:

03A01204-8A01-4D1D-BB71-58052ED280B7_zpshr2i8dq0.jpg

83116D69-A895-4A55-A2FC-5BBFB1B9B97B_zpsigm80dlx.jpg

I would guess XF40 - XF45.

I look forward to seeing better pics based solely on your level of excitement. ;)

I don't understand the XF grade guesses.

As one example, here are images of the first PCGS XF45 that showed up in a search for me - look at the wear on Liberty's face and hair curls, compared to the coin in this thread:

See here

As one example, here are images of the first PCGS XF45 that showed up in a search for me - look at the wear on Liberty's face and hair curls, compared to the coin in this thread:

See here

I don't understand the EF-40 guesses either. I will buy every single EF-40 that looks like that, and I'll pay 45 prices too ;)

See here

I compared OP' s coin to several 1821 XF' s I have. Areas of wear matched up well. I just don't see enough remaining mint luster to call this coin AU. XF45 yes. Simply my take and I will admit to grading very conservatively.

Here's a Heritage link to an ANACS AU55 O-107. Compare the coins wear areas.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/bust-half-dollars/half-dollars/1821-50c-au55-anacs-o-107-ngc-census-76-205-pcgs-population-100-175-mintage-1-305-797-numismedia-wsl-price-for/a/1203-7633.s

Carl

Well, PCGS graded this one XF 45

The coin in hand has nice luster. As I said, it is not as dark as seems in seller's pics. The details, when comparing to other 1821's (of this same variety, and other varieties), seem to be better than 45, I was thinking low AU. But always good to have a coin that is very choice for the grade given (especially since I paid closer to XF40 money, I think..?)

Thank you all for taking the time to help and comment!