• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$500 to spend on a coin - which would you buy?

39 posts in this topic

If I had $ 500 to spend on a coin, I would probably look at 1885 CC MS 63. I like Morgans and would love that year, mint mark and condition.

What's special about that year/mint mark?

A late-date, MS63/64 large cent with excellent toning!

Hoot

Not a buffalo? wink.gif

Why the large cent?

Sorry Gunsmoke, hadn't seen your question until now.

For me, it's that there's a lot of American coin history and the history of the Mint wrapped up in large cents. I also find them quite beautiful, especially with a thick, original, shiny brown patina. Add to that a great strike, and they are one heck of a coin!

I think there's still a lot of bang for the buck with large cents, even though there's a pretty large collector base. It's an area of true intrigue for me due to the value, beauty, variety, and history.

Hoot

Im surprised no one bought this piece! It's so cheap considering the rarity, toning, grade, and color. Look who's on it, Lincoln cwt's are HOT! If I had $400 I would snatch this one up right away. An R-9 for $400, that is crazy, the only reason I would believe it's so cheap is that it's circulated, but barely. foreheadslap.gif

710380016.jpg

Probably a 1937-D 3 Leg Buffalo nickel, somewhere in the F-12 to F-15 range. With the new buffalo reverse design coming out in Feb, 2005. I think the 3 legger is an prospect for a leap in values. Of the most popular in the Indian head nickel series, it `s primary focal point of value is the buffalo on the reverse. I fully expect an increase in values across the board on the series. But, think the 3 Leg will see the greatest amount of interest and value increase. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif