• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Very Gmarguli Christmas

When to open my gift?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. When to open my gift?

93 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I met up with our very own Greg today at a local coin shop. As this is the last coin weekend before Christmas he had a gift for me (I had one for him last time we met):

670004-gift.jpg

If I had to guess I woudl ssy the package holds 2 NGC slabbed coins. I'm not sure if I should open it right away or wait for Christmas, what says the forum?

-JamminJ

1) I voted wait until Christmas.

2) One of the reasons I opened mine was since we don't really celebrate Christmas, but rather New Years, the wait would have been a lot longer.

3) I know James has no idea whatsoever is in the package as it was never part of my collection. Making him think about it is part of the fun. 27_laughing.gif I told him today what was going to be his gift, but the coin turned out to be bad.

4) Who says it's coins or in NGC slabs. Think back to your birthday. Perhaps the packaging was meant to fool you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

4) Who says it's coins or in NGC slabs. Think back to your birthday. Perhaps the packaging was meant to fool you. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They sure feel like NGC slabs. Additionally, you mentioned that if I didn't like it it would go right into your collection.

I know James has no idea whatsoever is in the package as it was never part of my collection. Making him think about it is part of the fun.

The wait and guessing is kind of fun. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

we don't really celebrate Christmas, but rather New Years, the wait would have been a lot longer.

You're a Pagan?

-JamminJ

JJ, if it's from Greg then it's probably some old PCGS slabs that were overgraded that wouldn't sell on e-bay. 27_laughing.gif

You might be right. I did see him buy a 1917 (P) mercury dime in a PCGS G-6 holder. However, his gift was good so I'll bet mine is good also.

-JamminJ

You don't celebrate Christmas? What, do you do Kawanza? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gifKwanzaa.gifthumbsup2.gif

Actually, no. Fiancee is Russian and they don't celebrate Christmas since it is a religious holiday. Instead they celebrate New Years with basically all the same things as Christmas, just a week later. I'm not a big holiday person, so it doesn't matter to me.

For special gifts you ALWAYS wait til xmas. For office worker gifts it's ok to open anytime. AND, why am I not be gifted gereg? Or did I ask presumtuously? If so, thousand pardons. If not, sumo.gif

437722-Hog.JPG

I knew he'd be heading to Greg's collection ever since I got his Maria Theresa in the Great Birthday Coin Hoax last June.

One of my top three coins, I hope you enjoy owning him!

-JamminJ

I'll go with the forum consensus and wait until Christmas, or at least Christmas Eve.

-JamminJ

Noooooooooooooooooooo! 893whatthe.gif

The gift will have lost all of its pizazz by then. sumo.gif

I voted to tear into that gift. Besides, who knows what the Evil One™ devil.gif may have done to that package? What ruin of Christmas may come upon you?

Probably cursed gypsy coins from Vlad's reign.

Hoot

Wait until Christmas. Crack and spend on the 26th. thumbsup2.gif

I'm getting the impression that Greg's gift selection abilities may not be highly respected.

-JamminJ

I'm getting the impression that Greg's gift selection abilities may not be highly respected.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hey people! I want you all to know that if these were several grades higher, slabbed by NGC instead of NCS, and didn't have all the problems, I'd be willing to put them in my collection! sumo.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hey people! I want you all to know that if these were several grades higher, slabbed by NGC instead of NCS, and didn't have all the problems, I'd be willing to put them in my collection! sumo.gif

At least they're not counterfeit!

yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

-JamminJ

It's probably a membership card to the ACLU? Open it now!!! thumbsup2.gif

Now that would be a surprize! 27_laughing.gif

All tied up a six votes each.

-JamminJ

All tied up a six votes each.

There, I just voted again to break the tie. Now I've voted both ways. Since I know what's in it, it doesn't matter to me.

Oh hell, go ahead and open it. This disappointment will last longer until Lam gives you my real present in a week or two.

I'm still wondering where my gift from gereg is. confused.gif

He told me he was going to hide it in the park where you metal detect. gossip.gif

-JamminJ