• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Very Gmarguli Christmas

When to open my gift?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. When to open my gift?

93 posts in this topic

Oh Jammin, you shoulda called his bluff!! Youda won!

Note that by the time the poll ends it will be Chistmas and the coins will already be open. Hee hee - don't tell Greg! cloud9.gif

-JamminJ

Note that by the time the poll ends it will be Chistmas and the coins will already be open.

Are you sure you won't needv the advice of another open-ended poll telling you what time on Christmas to open the gift?

Note that by the time the poll ends it will be Chistmas and the coins will already be open.

Are you sure you won't needv the advice of another open-ended poll telling you what time on Christmas to open the gift?

I was going to open it sometime after sundown on the 24th. However, another open ended poll sounds like a good idea!

-JamminJ

That is true. He seems to be a phantom poster.

Don't bring up phantom posts please.

Merry Christmas Shiro.

By the time Shiroh come back to read this it'll be July 4th.

I was thinking the same thing.

I'll be opening Greg's gift quite soon!

-JamminJ

Opened it up, kind of a disappointing haul.

The first one was a normal NGC slab:

675100-1962StThomas20cNGC65RB.jpg

Not really what I collect, but not a bad coin. I know Greg has about 25 of these (24 now). The next one was kind of a joke:

675101-Churchill.jpg

He had an NGC slab which had been cut open on one side (dremel tool?), hollowed out and had the Churchill coin wrapped in newspaper inside. The cut slab was placed next to the whole one in such a way that you couldn't tell it was cut open until the package was opened.

-JamminJ

OK, I can't lever everyone think Greg really gave a Churchill crown as a gift. Here are the real coins:

675107-peace2.jpg

675108-gothe2.jpg

Both are commemorative 2 guldens from the German state of Frankfurt. The first one was struck for the 300th anniversary of the Religious Peace of Augsburg and the second for the 100th annversary of the birth of Goethe. The toning is actually more vibrant in person than the photos show so I'll try to get a better picture down the road.

Both of these coins came from our local dealer. Last summer be bought a fairly large collection of German coins. They had been stored for many years in an old felt lined coin cabinet and most developed lovely blue colored toning. While many of them had been cleaned but these two jumped out as the two best of the bunch. The dealer agreed to sell them to me but asked for some time to figure out how to price them. Time and time again he put me off claiming he never found the time to figure the prices but apparently somewhere along the line Greg swooped in and grabbed them.

Thanks Greg, they're super coins!

-JamminJ

Fabulous coins, but I have to say that the bird on the front of those coins looks like it's havin' a hard time with what's between its legs. 893whatthe.gif Just looks like he can't get his legs out quite far enough. yeahok.gif

Hoot

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

Shall I be called the "Phantom of the Forum" from now on?

Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation

Darkness wakes and stirs imagination

Silently the senses abandon their defenses

Helpless to resist the notes I write,

For I compose Phantom Posts of the Night.

Happy 4th of July, everyone.

Shall I be called the "Phantom of the Forum" from now on?

Nighttime sharpens, heightens each sensation

Darkness wakes and stirs imagination

Silently the senses abandon their defenses

Helpless to resist the notes I write,

For I compose Phantom Posts of the Night.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gereg hasn't given you yours yet? I got mine in the mail about 4 days ago. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I must kill him then at that ANA convention, IF they ever decide where they are going to hold it.

So do I get a gift now?

Thong, we all know, tis better to give than receive. Meditate on that my son.

I see TJ is unacquainted with The Phantom (semi-lame musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber).

My apologies Shiro, i attributed that verse to you, knowing your multifold talents. Perhaps in the future you should give credit where credit is due.

I see TJ is unacquainted with The Phantom (semi-lame musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber).

How do you know so many show tunes Shiroh? Is there something you'd like to share will all of us?

-JamminJ

How do you know so many show tunes Shiroh? Is there something you'd like to share will all of us?

-JamminJ

If you think I like Liza Minelli, you're wrong.

A former girlfriend took me to see The Phantom and thought it had the greatest music in the world. I was (and am) a big fan of Russian opera, and I was not at all impressed with the music or the show.

see TJ is unacquainted with The Phantom (semi-lame musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber).

He is unacquainted with it, but he does know every word of every Hee Haw episode ever made.

see TJ is unacquainted with The Phantom (semi-lame musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber).

He is unacquainted with it, but he does know every word of every Hee Haw episode ever made.

You're the redneck around here Thong. I'm the sensitive intellectual. Got it?