• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think these JFKs will grade ?

19 posts in this topic

I only looked at the first two and would say thats a maybe leaning towards a yes, but the coins in those first two auctions don't look like they will grade high enough to be worth the fees.

Anytime I have seen/found coins in holders like that, they had been harshly cleaned before being put in the novelty holder. Not saying they are, just saying I would proceed with the assumption that they are, if it were me...

Next, obviously with those pics it is impossible to tell, but several of those coins I just saw looked to my eye to be circulated, some I don't know would be good enough for a AU.

I wouldn't pay more than a buck or two each.... that's just me though... I am pretty amazed the price is where it is on those already..

They would probably grade but since they dont look like high grade examples, the fees to slab them i feel is not worth it. Unless you want to slab it so bad.

I don't know if they're "MA." That's a complicated question, these days. I know this much, though. We've found much better in boxes and bank bags.

From the toning standpoint they should grade...or at least they should. Those are all pretty much Dansco toned.

However, as noted above if there are other things, like cleaning, then all bets are off.

jom

Those coins are already significantly above what they are worth. I'd say about $10 to $15 each is what I'd be willing to pay, if I were in the market for them. The toning appears to be natural - consistent with a long life in those aftermarket holders. I find it to be attractive, although the grades are probably in the 63-64 range.

In short, yes, I think they would grade, but no, I don't think its worth it.

All of them look like natural Dansco album toning to me. All of them are selling for more than their market value IMO. This is the type of material that you could pick up cheaply from a brick and mortar. I would pass.

Those coins are already significantly above what they are worth. I'd say about $10 to $15 each is what I'd be willing to pay, if I were in the market for them.

In short, yes, I think they would grade, but no, I don't think its worth it.

I just saw this - I agree with your valuation of the pieces. $10-$15 sounds about right for retail value.

Grade in PCGS/NGC plastic they are worth considerably more than $10-$15 a coin.

You cant find color like that very often on clad JFKs...

I cant call then Dansco toning ... well because they arent in a Dansco Album but they do have color similar to Dansco toning - I think these are more colorful and thats the problem and thats why Im not sure if they will grade.

I wouldn't pay money to get clad coins graded. It's a waste of time and money. I would even be tempted to spend any non commemorative clad coin if I can't get good enough money for it.

This is precisely why I agree with the $10-$15 price estimate posted by another member. These are NOT rare at all, and most probably reside in dealers' unsold inventory or collectors' old forgotten albums. This is why that, even if not common in TPG plastic, this is because the coins are deemed to be of insufficient value to slab them.

I wouldn't pay money to get clad coins graded. It's a waste of time and money. I would even be tempted to spend any non commemorative clad coin if I can't get good enough money for it.

This is precisely why I agree with the $10-$15 price estimate posted by another member. These are NOT rare at all, and most probably reside in dealers' unsold inventory or collectors' old forgotten albums. This is why that, even if not common in TPG plastic, this is because the coins are deemed to be of insufficient value to slab them.

To anyone with these sentiments - I will happily pay $10-$15 a coin for all of the toned clad post uncirculated 1964 coins you can send me with this type of colorful toning. Please see the links above.

PM me with offers. Thanks...

To anyone with these sentiments - I will happily pay $10-$15 a coin for all of the toned clad post uncirculated 1964 coins you can send me with this type of colorful toning. Please see the links above.

PM me with offers. Thanks...

What would be the fun in that? You seem to think the pieces are good buys at $50. :devil:

If I ever go back to the B&M around here or the local shows I'll look for some. If successful, I would probably consign them to Shane.

What would be the fun in that? You seem to think the pieces are good buys at $50. :devil:

If I ever go back to the B&M around here or the local shows I'll look for some. If successful, I would probably consign them to Shane.

Please do so I would like to buy them for .99 cents since there's no market for them.

Your attitude is the same attitude I got from dealers 15 yrs ago when I started collecting toned Peace $. Since they werent toned like Morgans they didnt see the value. There were numerous examples that I purchased for grey sheet that I couldnt afford to purchase now. I regret selling someone of the coins I sold off 10 yrs ago for the prices that I sold them for. They would be worth 10X that now.

Ive always gone with adage "collect what no one else is collecting" and wait. It has served me well. I will let others chase and pay through the nose for Monster Morgans.

There's really no down side potential on a $20 coin but there certainly is huge downside potential on a toned $1500 1881-S MS63 Morgan.

Please do so you can see the error in your thinking.

Your attitude is the same attitude I got from dealers 15 yrs ago when I started collecting toned Peace $. Since they werent toned like Morgans they didnt see the value. There were numerous examples that I purchased for grey sheet that I couldnt afford to purchase now. I regret selling someone of the coins I sold off 10 yrs ago for the prices that I sold them for. They would be worth 10X that now.

Ive always gone with adage "collect what no one else is collecting" and wait. It has served me well. I will let others chase and pay through the nose for Monster Morgans.

There's really no down side potential on a $20 coin but there certainly is huge downside potential on a $1500 1881-S MS65 Morgan.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I think toned Peace Dollars, even accounting for dipping that might have occurred during fads when such practices were widely accepted and encouraged by the market, are distinguishable and that the pieces are legitimately scarcer. One, there is the acidity of the bath applied to the coins and possible inhibition of toning as a result. Two, the storage conditions were very different for Peace Dollars than they were other coins. RWB, Jerseycat10, and I discussed this in a thread about a year and a half ago, I believe. And most importantly, while I agree there is downside potential for monster toned coins, you are comparing apples and oranges. $20 a piece is about a 20x premium for these, which is far greater premium relative to generic value than a good number of so called monster toned coins. And the quality of toning of those coins is much higher than the slight peripheral toning seen on the Kennedys. Now if you had a true monster, I might feel differently, but I don't think any of the coins linked qualify as high end or even medium end toners.

With regards to collecting, I agree with collecting whatever you like, but be aware (as I am with everything I collect), that others might not agree and the market might not either.