• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's selling the small cent collection on Teletrade Sunday?

11 posts in this topic

It always amazes me when I see the '22 no D cents at how bad they generally look. I mean, was anyone inspecting them as they were being struck at the Mint?

It always amazes me when I see the '22 no D cents at how bad they generally look. I mean, was anyone inspecting them as they were being struck at the Mint?

The mintage is so low for this error date that the machine probably had spit these out while the operator was taking a wizz! 27_laughing.gif

or having a smoke! laugh.gif

or hauling another load of planchets! smile.gif

or talking to the boss! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whatever the guy was doing, it probably didn't take much time for this date to make history. Although there must have been two sets of die pairings.

Leo

I actually thought there was one strong reverse and two weak reverses of the 22 plain? I also understand that EDS strong reverses show reminants of the Mint mark. Coppercoins consireds this a "worthless" grease-filled die variety. Any other opinions?

Hoot

Regardless of the variety, I still view these as "mistakes" and should not rank with the true rarities of the series, i.e. '09 S, '09 S VDB and the 1914 D but this is merely my opinion. I also feel the same way about the Buffalo overdates and the 3-legged Buffalo. Some bonehead at the mint did a poor job which creates a mega-bucked rarity ... just doesn't add up to me. However, the exception lies with the 1955 DDO. It is such a marked doubling that I find this coin appealing but with c. 25,000 minted, I think that it is overpriced. I certainly mean no offense to anyone but am interested in feedback at why these coins continue to fascinate.

Excellent point. The Red Book is also a market-maker when they list a new variety, etc.

I still think that the three matte uncirculated issues in the 1990's have tremendous potential. By having a slot in the standard coin albums, much demand is created.

Good points. I've always been fascinated by the canonization of "complete". I think the driving force behind their inclusion was their visibility to the unaided eye, and the huge base of collectors. All but the 55 DDO are abraded die coins, missing design elements. Other abraded die coins (no AW Walkers, the No FG Kennedys, etc, etc) are all far less popular. I think you are probably correct about the matte coins, although I consider them commems. It's interesting to me that the early matte Lincolns don't have a larger following.

Mystery solved.

I agree that coins produced from abraded or otherwise impaired die pairs just don't do it for me, though I can see the difference in them from the 1955 DDO since in the latter case the die was hubbed in that manner and did not subsequently degenerate to that state.

As for the matte proof Lincolns, well let's be thankful for small miracles that they don't have a larger following!

I think you are probably correct about the matte coins, although I consider them commems. It's interesting to me that the early matte Lincolns don't have a larger following.

It is probably because they are somewhat of an esoteric issue and most just do not stand out and demand attention.

What is the best way to distinquish a matte Lincoln? By the squared rims as is typical of proofs?