• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An interesting coin planchet

10 posts in this topic

I have a coin planchet that has 3 eagles on it that are small just like the size of a privy mark or so . The eagles look to me to be American and the are all facing right . it has the numbers 18 818 on it just like a a test or trial planchet would . it also has faint lettering on it the letter k . I have been puzzled by this coin for some time cant find any type of info about it . I have asked the US mint and I have yet to get a response. the coin is aged and it is not a fake or something just made up it is just all and all too real looking for it to be some type of forgery and or a type of thing that some one just made in thier garage . I am asking the community if you ight help me find some answers about this coin . such as guide or books that might be helpful . I am leaning towards sending it to ngc for further help if I cant figure this one out on my own . the coin is the size of a flying eagle but it is thinner than one almost as thin as a dime would be .

Please tell us the apparent composition (copper, copper-nickel, silver or whatever) and the diameter and the thickness.

If you don't have anything to measure it with, say "slightly larger than a quarter" and/or "slightly thicker than a nickel," or whatever you compare it to that is close.

I have a coin planchet that has 3 eagles on it that are small just like the size of a privy mark or so . The eagles look to me to be American and the are all facing right . it has the numbers 18 818 on it just like a a test or trial planchet would . it also has faint lettering on it the letter k . I have been puzzled by this coin for some time cant find any type of info about it . I have asked the US mint and I have yet to get a response. the coin is aged and it is not a fake or something just made up it is just all and all too real looking for it to be some type of forgery and or a type of thing that some one just made in thier garage . I am asking the community if you ight help me find some answers about this coin . such as guide or books that might be helpful . I am leaning towards sending it to ngc for further help if I cant figure this one out on my own . the coin is the size of a flying eagle but it is thinner than one almost as thin as a dime would be .

Stating the obvious comment, if you truly want an informed reply, please furnish pictures.

No update I see...hope they come back with some images, or if they got an answer from another chat board as to what they have. I hate to be left hanging.