• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toner Market... for the toned coin lovers buyers/sellers

46 posts in this topic

Im wondering if others are noticing a softening of the toned coin market or is it just my mis-perception ?

I track and catalog a lot of EBay auctions and I noticed a price drop of approximately 10-20% off the norms. And many of the BIN toned coins remain unsold.

First, has anyone else noticed this and secondly what do you attribute it too ? Summer slow-down, weak overall coin market, weak economy, various world crisis ?

Or, have you seen the opposite and think Im crazy and what segment of the toned coin market are you speaking of - ie., toned Morgans, Bust Halves, Roosies, Washies ect...

Wow...that is a LOT of dough for an 81-S dollar. And here I thought I paid a lot for coins sometimes....

jom

I've been lucky enough to own many Monsters! Not bull wannabe monsters, but true blue Monsters! Some I payed way too much for and some I didn't even pay a premium for. It was fun collecting them.certain things started turning me off to them. I'll list them below.

Last two years color has been the secret handshake ATS. So now you got a high grade coin and the dealer wants a premium on top of that. HELLO! Without the color your coin is two grades lower!

Everybody hopped on the color train! There was a time I'd post a coin, and about half the responses were derogatory. Now, everybody loves color!

Every coin is a Monster! Dealers and wannabe dealers label just about everything as a monster!

There are only a few of the origanl monster chasers left! I'm not gonna be holding on to these coins when they decide to leave the hobby.

Lastly, there are way, way,way more toned Morgans in holding then many know of, or want to believe.

I'll still buy them. But at little to no premium, and likely will flip it shortly after buying it. Right now I'm into Brown original copper, in older holders that show there likely stable.

I myself have noticed that this "summer slowdown" has been particularly more dramatic than any of the last few summers... I kept hearing dealers talk about how things slow way down, practically stop in the summer, but I have never noticed it until this summer. So, my opinion is that what you are seeing is the result of that in more or less words...

Like "toners", what I primarily deal with is a niche market. That alone can make it harder to maintain a realistic perception of what is happening in the hobby overall.

My thoughts on the toner market specifically is that it is alive and well... very healthy right now. (could be that I have only became active in it in the last few months though). Last night I saw (as many of you did Im sure) a PCGS slabbed 1964 Kennedy half, in MS65, with wild colors obverse and reverse sell for $355 or something like that. I mean, that's a $50 dollar coin on its best day.... and it sold for over 7 X's that.... so I am seeing a strong toner market. However, with it being that niche market, it allows for those opportunities to walk into a coin shop, or whatever/wherever, and find the guy who doesn't appreciate toners, selling some for same price as their non toned counterparts... which makes it fun.

Just some perspective from the rambling newbie...

Chris..

I myself have noticed that this "summer slowdown" has been particularly more dramatic than any of the last few summers... I kept hearing dealers talk about how things slow way down, practically stop in the summer, but I have never noticed it until this summer. So, my opinion is that what you are seeing is the result of that in more or less words...

Like "toners", what I primarily deal with is a niche market. That alone can make it harder to maintain a realistic perception of what is happening in the hobby overall.

My thoughts on the toner market specifically is that it is alive and well... very healthy right now. (could be that I have only became active in it in the last few months though). Last night I saw (as many of you did Im sure) a PCGS slabbed 1964 Kennedy half, in MS65, with wild colors obverse and reverse sell for $355 or something like that. I mean, that's a $50 dollar coin on its best day.... and it sold for over 7 X's that.... so I am seeing a strong toner market. However, with it being that niche market, it allows for those opportunities to walk into a coin shop, or whatever/wherever, and find the guy who doesn't appreciate toners, selling some for same price as their non toned counterparts... which makes it fun.

Just some perspective from the rambling newbie...

Chris..

To put things in perspective. That's same person sold my 1964 Kennedy 3 years ago for $1000+ and color was one sided only. :-)

Last night I saw (as many of you did Im sure) a PCGS slabbed 1964 Kennedy half, in MS65, with wild colors obverse and reverse sell for $355 or something like that. I mean, that's a $50 dollar coin on its best day.... and it sold for over 7 X's that.... so I am seeing a strong toner market.

I actually thought that was quite low for that coin as dimefreak points out. I thought that coin should probably sell for $500+

And of course true Morgan Monsters will remain strong. In the toner world, I would place them on top of the heap. There are few other toners that exhibit dripping luster and absolutely stunning color in the same manner that a Morgan exhibits.

I think Im seeing some of the other types of known popular toners (Franklins, Roosies, Washies, JFKs, Peace $, Jeffs ) pull back slightly.

I dont track 19th century toners so I have no idea whats going on there though...

dimefreak, tonerguy...

Well considering your comments, My entire perspective has just been shifted.... Perspective is such an fascinating concept... I was sitting there last night watching that Kennedy reach 355 and im sure you can picture my mouth wide open, had to pick my jaw up off the floor cause I just couldn't believe it that coin fetched 355... (although it is a super stunner, I guess I just didn't know that there was/is/has been/etc a market to support prices like that on a Kennedy). Man, part of me wishes I was around to just to see/experience a time when coins like that fetched over a thousand bucks...... seriously wow.

Do either of you have any thoughts on why that particular coin fetched 355, when the other toned MS65 was nowhere near that, and even the colorful Ken in 66 came nowhere close to that? Was it just the specific colors/color pattern? was it that it was a solid double-sided toner? -I haven't seen many that are nicely toned on both sides, let alone the entire surfaces of the O & R. regardless, I couldn't figure out why that one had so much interest, but the other couple didn't... esp the nice one in 66.

I apologize, but I no longer have it saved, and it isn't coming up in the "completed listings". Maybe someone can help with a link... I cant seem to figure it out.

Kenny, I link tommorow. Results are now not searchable on eBay for 24 hours.

AHFreak- I have a raw one from your home town that's amazing on both sides. Paid $30 I think? I think it would 65 or higher.... I'm keeping it raw so I don't get tempting to sell it!

True "monsters" remain strong. Matter of fact you just don't see them. Coins that were bandied and paraded around as monsters but in fact were less then that have weakened and rightfully so.

MJ

Yes, that is the one I was talking about... please excuse my mistake of 365, as it was actually 335. But, yeah, now that I look again, I cant figure out why that one went for so much higher than the others... was it just because there were at least two bidders who "really wanted that coin"? Or, is there something about this one that is more appealing to those who collect toned coins?

True "monsters" remain strong. Matter of fact you just don't see them. Coins that were bandied and paraded around as monsters but in fact were less then that have weakened and rightfully so.

MJ

I agree. And the price on the Kennedy seems about right to me.

MJ

But can you admit they are all going to the same people? I can name 3 people that are responsible for winning 90% of the true monsters! When I think Monsters I think Morgans and Early Commems. Those are the two series that tend to bring retarded premiums. Premiums I once paid. Many collectors of them have sailed the ship... Brian is on a island relaxing, Lloyd is MIA, the passing of Bruce, health issues of Greg, so on and so on. I feel that in 10-15 years many of these coins will be cheaper and easier obtainable. Just my humble opinion.

I'd pay $4800 for that dollar before I paid that much for a Roosie lol

Nahh we all have out taste and priorities. What i learned is respect what people like.

I learned that recently.

MJ

But can you admit they are all going to the same people? I can name 3 people that are responsible for winning 90% of the true monsters! When I think Monsters I think Morgans and Early Commems. Those are the two series that tend to bring retarded premiums. Premiums I once paid. Many collectors of them have sailed the ship... Brian is on a island relaxing, Lloyd is MIA, the passing of Bruce, health issues of Greg, so on and so on. I feel that in 10-15 years many of these coins will be cheaper and easier obtainable. Just my humble opinion.

Actually the torch in the commem market has been passed awhile ago. There are a few new younger sheriff's in town. Also some have re entered the market after selling their collections. You know the main Morgan guy. Almost everything goes through him in regards to monsters and his hands are strong. I don't collect the series but I like to stay informed.

I actually think there is value in other series in this genre. World coins especially. Walkers in real color ( not orange or brown) are scarcer then a hens tooth.

MJ

MJ

Actually the torch in the commem market has been passed awhile ago. There are a few new younger sheriff's in town. Also some have re entered the market after selling their collections. You know the main Morgan guy. Almost everything goes through him in regards to monsters and his hands are strong. I don't collect the series but I like to stay informed.

I actually think there is value in other series in this genre. World coins especially. Walkers in real color ( not orange or brown) are scarcer then a hens tooth.

MJ

Agree with Morgan Comment. My point is the top end coins are going to just a hanfull of guys. Not everybody is.buying them. I remember few years back two huegonots in 66 selling for $30k+.... There now top pop coins ATS... For me it gets annoying! I know you remember the Sonnier Ronoake! Sold over and over in details holder, and then..... sonnier gets it to go! Annoying! As far as walkers and standing libs and mercs... There hard to find and sell for premiums that I can understand! Next time you see Kimmel ask him how.many monster Morgans he placed in collections... Number may surprise you!

Nahh we all have out taste and priorities. What i learned is respect what people like.

I learned that recently.

Agree! Which is why I spoke up!

I learned that recently.

You said it to attack me like how u did and u still won't respond to your pm

i just recently bought two (1884 o CH BU MORGAN COIN)

(1887 P Toned Rim CH BU Morgan coin)

but I am kinda confused does the toned make the coin more valuable or not?

the coins are out in the air and are not in a sealed case

should I spend the money and get them to NGC to get sealed and valued???

all inputs are greatly welcomed :)

Thanks

Kevin C

I learned that recently.

You said it to attack me like how u did and u still won't respond to your pm

@Curry

First of all, if you are going to waste your time writing stuff like that, try proof reading it, so you can have it make sense, and get your point across...

Second of all, and I can only speak for myself when I say this, but I am really sick of all your non-coin related, confrontational troll posts... If you are looking to troll, I can give you a few recommendations that will work out much better for you than this here forum my friend.... If you are not here to troll, may I remind you that this is a "COIN FORUM" for the discussion of coins and the like...

;)