• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG: 1942 Walker

37 posts in this topic

I have the coin in hand now and its a problem-free coin. There are almost no marks what-so-ever. Comparing it to 66s in my collection, it looks just as good. The color is just as subtle as the photos show, however, the coin is a little bit darker in hand. The darker color sort of subdues the luster, but, don't get me wrong, there's still plenty left. As Walkerfan commented, the thumb is a bit weak for a 42 - not This Walker is VERY attractive and I'm very curious to see how it fares at PCGS.

I just received the grade back for this Walker. I cracked it out of its NGC 63 holder and submitted it to PCGS for my yearly eight free grades. It came back as PCGS 65. I thought this Walker could go up to a 66, but a three point increase would be too good to be true.

I'm proud of myself for picking out a coin (in the main series I collect) that looked undergraded and, eventually, upgrading it. It's not a huge price increase, but it proves to myself that I am learning how to grade the series I collect.

Tyler

Edited to add PCGS cert #: 33491168

Walkerfan touched upon it briefly, but if the coin looks like that in hand, there are a couple of explanations (other than being under graded):

1 - The 1942-P is known for great luster and good strikes are readily available. Maybe the softness in the thumb hurt the coin, but more so than it should have IMHO.

2 - The 1942-P is a hoard date, was saved by the rolls, and are common even in higher grades. Sometimes the TPGs are stricter on these.

Regardless, I don't think the other grade guesses provided here were out of line at all.

Regardless, I don't think the other grade guesses provided here were out of line at all.

I don't either. I would have guessed pretty high (66 or 67) if someone else would have posted this coin.