• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first chance to help someone with a coin question . . .

12 posts in this topic

I'd go through them for better dates. With that many rolls there's bound to be something fun to find.

Especially with the SLQs. It is possible to tell a dateless 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter from others. That coin would still fetch a nice premium.

Great post! I hope they had the time to go thru to make sure there weren't any "better dates". With that aside it looks to be a good deal for all.

Too bad he didn't find these a couple of years ago with silver was higher.....

jom

The family certainly received much more than they ever imagined. I hope they can take care of the Uncle and at least make him more comfortable.

Certainly they got much more than what they had thought the coins were worth. As I understand, the Aunt and Uncle have had these for years and years and there are supposedly more coins besides. With the uncle not doing well at all and the aunt struggling the need to convert to cash was great. This person used to work with me in Houston and vicariously enjoyed my collecting as coins would (and still do :grin:) arrive by mail at the office. Six months or so ago they had to quit work and moved to Dallas to care for the elders. I did mention a few things about dates and mintmarks but with the staggering 9200 quarters there just wasn't much interest in going through them and then again the time issue and need for money. Being that I'm 240 miles and 4 hours away there wasn't any way I could look myself. I do wish the SLQ's had been gone through, but as you may have noticed I wasn't even thinking of that elusive 1916. I feel I helped and think I did a-ok first time out with a question that started of with "My Aunt has a bunch of old quarters".

Thanks for all the comments and hope you all enjoyed the read.

-d

Before you sell them for bullion prices I suggest you look at the NGC price guide and write down the dates and mint mark of the coins that you see that are worth something well above melt price. For example a 1921 dime looks like just what it is a dime. The difference is the amount of them minted and the associated price. Same for the Standing Liberty quarters, the Washington quarters and the Walking Liberty half dollars. Typically you will find a few that represent the bulk of the value.