• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1836 CBH "Before Pics Added"

29 posts in this topic

Guess the grade and do you think it would grade at a TPG?

Edit: The second set of images are before I dipped it. It was in a problem-free old ANACS holder with an obverse that was dark as coal, I've darken the images to provide an idea of what it looked like in-hand. I have never cracked out a problem-free coin and dipped it. This was what happened with 2 quick dips in E-Z-est, about 4 seconds total time. The upper half of the obverse retains a slight amount of shading from the black toning. Care to guess the ANACS grade?

1836_zpsded1a8dc.jpg

before_zps91868006.jpg

The coin is nice but i cant place whats with it. If its problem free maybe 60-62ish? Thats just my opinion so don't get discouraged from what i say

I'd guess 58 too, although it does look like it was dipped (lack of luster in the fields) it may very well fall into the "market acceptable dipping" being discussed in another thread in the main forum. It doesn't seem to show many hairlines and still seems to show some amount of luster around the devices. A very nice example IMHO.

From the photos I'd say dipped, not cleaned because I don't see a bunch of hairlines running in the same direction. The half dollars did spend a lot of time in bank vaults where they would have acquired some light toing, but not the dark heavy stuff that is hard to remove with dip. The coin could be total mess, but if it is graded as AU-50 with no negative remarks, I would say that might be accurate if the photograph is accurate.

I think I see light hairlines starting at the chin and down torwards the bust. I also see some in the same direction on the devices. Luster on the reverse looks nice, but the obverse looks a little dull.

AU details.

From the photos I'd say dipped, not cleaned because I don't see a bunch of hairlines running in the same direction.

But what about the luster? It looks impaired and more so than a dip. That's why I posted that I thought the piece was cleaned even in the absence of hairlines patterned in the way you describe.

But what about the luster? It looks impaired and more so than a dip.

I viewed the lack of luster seen in the pic as a lack of proper lighting. In the areas where there is a good amount of lighting, there also appears to be a good amount of luster. It only appears dull and lifeless in the darkened areas with improper lighting. I believe if the was fully lit, it would give a completely different appearance. But, that's just my interpretation of the pic, and we all know how that can be. ;)

I've added some before pics and comments to the 1st post.

I guessed AU DET. on the first set of pics,

the 2nd set of pics (the "before") you posted, looks like an AU55 to me, problem-free..

I happen to like the "dark" look - nothing wrong with it. that's what an original lightly circulated coin would look after 200 years..

(tsk)

Egads, man. You took a nice, original looking, darkly toned piece of art and turned it into a shiny, cleaned, dipped piece of mess. I hope you are proud of yourself.

Jason has a tendency to be very harsh when he does not like something, ok I must admit so do I. In this case I agree with his sentiments 100 % . You had a great looking original Bust Half – why would you want to ruin it like you did?? I don’t care what grade ANACS gave it .

But what about the luster? It looks impaired and more so than a dip.

I viewed the lack of luster seen in the pic as a lack of proper lighting. In the areas where there is a good amount of lighting, there also appears to be a good amount of luster. It only appears dull and lifeless in the darkened areas with improper lighting. I believe if the was fully lit, it would give a completely different appearance. But, that's just my interpretation of the pic, and we all know how that can be. ;)

You were absolutely right. I stink at interpreting images like this.

To the OP, you had a very nice original AU Capped Bust Half Dollar, and in my opinion, you have ruined it. It will be interesting to see whether the TPGs consider this market acceptable. I won't venture a guess.

Egads, man. You took a nice, original looking, darkly toned piece of art and turned it into a shiny, cleaned, dipped piece of mess. I hope you are proud of yourself.

Jason has a tendency to be very harsh when he does not like something, ok I must admit so do I. In this case I agree with his sentiments 100 % . You had a great looking original Bust Half – why would you want to ruin it like you did?? I don’t care what grade ANACS gave it .

Wrongo - It looked terrible in-hand. Black as coal with super negative eye appeal.

Here's a slightly darkened pic to show how it looked. It was really bad.

cbh_zpsa3b37711.jpg

Wrongo - It looked terrible in-hand. Black as coal with super negative eye appeal.

cbh_zpsa3b37711.jpg

Why did you use full strength dip? If you absolutely had to dip it, I would have used a very, very dilute solution with hopes of lightening it.

Can you post a picture of the coin before the dip with no enhancements ??

I didn't take any before pics. Those are from an auction but believe me it was like a piece of charcoal. It will be around another 175 years and re-tone nicely. I don't appreciate a couple of the comments above. At all.

I am not sure that it looked all that great before he dipped it. Despite the fact that the piece may have had original surfaces, the eye appeal was not there. Some collectors don't agree, but some coin have to be dipped to make them presentable or saleable.

It may have been dipped before and improperly rinsed which could have resulted in the surfaces that were "as dark as charcoal." If memory services it was in an ANACS holder before, and maybe it was dipped for it was submitted to ANACS. In that case removal of the damaged surface was probably advisable.

I guess the only negative comment that I can make is that it might have been better if he had tried to use a professional conservation service instead of doing it himself. The results may have been better.

Can you post a picture of the coin before the dip with no enhancements ??

I didn't take any before pics. Those are from an auction but believe me it was like a piece of charcoal. It will be around another 175 years and re-tone nicely. I don't appreciate a couple of the comments above. At all.

I don't think any of the comments were meant to be taken personally at all. You had a coin that you interpreted as not market acceptable and transformed it into a coin that might also not be market acceptable. I think the comments are suggesting that other techniques might have been useful in successfully conserving the coin. I think the comments were meant to be helpful for future reference. I would hate to see someone damage their coin and/or investment by not fully exploring milder techniques that might have produced better results.

cbh_zpsa3b37711.jpg

I might or might not have liked the before version. But I know I don't like the after.

If it looked as bad as you say it did, prior to the dipping, why did you buy it?

The first picture you posted of the coin prior to the dip looked like a nice original coin , the second darker picture did not look good. So some people will be harsh on you for dipping a coin that looked like the first photo.

cbh_zpsa3b37711.jpg

I might or might not have liked the before version. But I know I don't like the after.

If it looked as bad as you say it did, prior to the dipping, why did you buy it?

Good question. I bought it from the images which looked pretty good. Of course I could have returned it but decided to keep it since it was cheap for a problem-free AU piece as might be expected.

This is one of those pieces that, once in-hand, proved to be a ugly dog. So, I decided to keep it, cracked it and dipped it. It will re-tone over time and hopefully become a good looking coin in the future.