• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great disapointment short lived by C Ramirez

13 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A lesson learned!

I have searches saved for certain coins on "Collectors Corner", I had received an Alert that a 1861 Silver Dollar PCGS XF40 had been listed, this was on a certain Friday evening. Through this website I agreed to purchase this coin, the website said the dealer would contact me. I was happy that I would finally purchase this elusive coin (all "Civil War" silver dollars are scarce). I contacted the dealer myself Monday morning. I was very much disappointed when I was told the coin sold on Saturday, even though I agreed to purchase this coin the day before; I was told I should have gone to their website to complete the purchase.

Just recently I received another alert that another 1861 Silver dollar was listed, this time I went to the dealers website and contacted them by phone, and was able to complete the purchase. This was a fantastic coin. A PCGS MS63 1861, It is now in my 1861 mint set.

15708.jpg

See more journals by C Ramirez

All's well that ends well, and this one was REALLY well!!! You have an absolutely beautiful coin which is a rarity for any Seated Liberty Dollar. I have looked through many a listing for suitable Seated Liberty Dollars for my collection only to find most of them unattractive. I know you will be infinitely happier with this coin over an XF-40 of the same date. Welcome to the boards!

Gary

With the minuscule mintage of most seated Liberty dollars, it's amazing that any survived that nice.

Nice Seated Dollar. What did they want for the one you missed, and what did the MS63 go for?

Here is one I picked up a couple of months ago:

DSC_6848.jpg

The EF40 was listed for approximately $2000.

NGC Population in all grades-72

PCGS Population in all grades-143

Combined total-215 coins that have a numerical grade.

PCGS Population in this grade-13/29 (29 coins graded higher)

NGC Population in this grade-10/19 (19 coins graded higher)

Crossovers might be considered which would reduce totals.

As you can see only approx. 215 coins that have numerical grade are accounted for.

This does not include Anacs, and other grading services.