• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fair price to pay for a 1928 Peace Dollar?

48 posts in this topic

To have a toned peace dollar is a bit strange. It's best served blast white.

Must disagree with both sentences:

dollar1925ngc66.jpg

And Mark, I think I remember paying a premium to buy this from you (of which I don't regret in the least).

Must disagree with both sentences:

dollar1925ngc66.jpg

And Mark, I think I remember paying a premium to buy this from you (of which I don't regret in the least).

I would have to disagree with u too. Toning looks good on certain coins. Peace dollars aint one of them. Unless you can find a nice one and post it, im not going to be a believer.

I too prefer white, but the light gold tone can be very beautiful. I paid a fair price for mine and don't think the toning had anything to do with it. It was the eye appeal.

1927MS64CAC_zps11c434df.jpg

1927MS64CACreverse_zps0594282a.jpg

Hello All,

I have been looking at getting my last and only key I need from the Peace Dollar series in MS 63 or 64 condition. Almost every coin I look at is sad to say, an ugly golden tone. I found one in MS 64 graded by PCGS, but it is close to $1300; well above what the coin usually sells for in online auctions. Knowing that this coin is the 'key' to the series is $1300+ too much to pay or a MS 64 that is NOT CAC'ed?

Any opinions on ths are appreciated.

What do you believe the ugly golden tone is, or is it simply a color you are not fond of?

Hello All,

I have been looking at getting my last and only key I need from the Peace Dollar series in MS 63 or 64 condition. Almost every coin I look at is sad to say, an ugly golden tone. I found one in MS 64 graded by PCGS, but it is close to $1300; well above what the coin usually sells for in online auctions. Knowing that this coin is the 'key' to the series is $1300+ too much to pay or a MS 64 that is NOT CAC'ed?

What do you believe the ugly golden tone is, or is it simply a color you are not fond of?

I don't buy overtly toned coins as I just don't like them. I perosnally consider toning a form of damage. It is a matter of taste.

Hello All,

I don't buy overtly toned coins as I just don't like them. I perosnally consider toning a form of damage. It is a matter of taste.

Prepare then to overpay for an overdipped piece. I think I see this result coming your way.

Hello All,

Prepare then to overpay for an overdipped piece. I think I see this result coming your way.

You have to also watch out for artifical toned coins too. So both ways you have to be careful.

I think he meant his statement more generally. There are a number of people (and sellers on eBay) that seem to believe that any toning, golden or otherwise, should automatically command a premium on a Peace Dollar. This is not necessarily the case. Minor toning isn't uncommon - it is attractive toning that is uncommon and that commands a premium.

Hello All,

As someone already pointed out you can easily over pay for an artificially toned coin as well. How does my opinion automatically lead you to conclude that I will 'overpay for an overdipped piece?' Mark Feld has already helped me find some great coins that were not overtly toned. They do exist. My opinion is just as valid as a person who prefers toned coins.

Hello All,

As someone already pointed out you can easily over pay for an artificially toned coin as well. How does my opinion automatically lead you to conclude that I will 'overpay for an overdipped piece?' Mark Feld has already helped me find some great coins that were not overtly toned. They do exist. My opinion is just as valid as a person who prefers toned coins.

Now, wait a moment...you have lost me. I understand you don't like ugly golden coins. I understand that your position is that toning is damage. By elimination, white coins are your choice, and that is your taste. You may or may not know what the ugly golden color is, and that is fine.

There is a high probability of the type of coin you seek was enhanced. That is the essence of the comment made to you. Your response is to play the Mark Card, yet by doing so you state an acceptance of paying something for a dipped piece, indeed an over dipped piece; you just didn't over pay for an over dipped piece.

I am also confused by what a coin that is not overtly toned is. Does that mean subtlety in toning? Does it mean blast white?

Of course your opinion is just as valid as the next guy. Nobody is calling you on this. The preference is not in question. The expected result is.

Hello All,

Now, wait a moment...you have lost me. I understand you don't like ugly golden coins. I understand that your position is that toning is damage. By elimination, white coins are your choice, and that is your taste. You may or may not know what the ugly golden color is, and that is fine.

There is a high probability of the type of coin you seek was enhanced. That is the essence of the comment made to you. Your response is to play the Mark Card, yet by doing so you state an acceptance of paying something for a dipped piece, indeed an over dipped piece; you just didn't over pay for an over dipped piece.

I am also confused by what a coin that is not overtly toned is. Does that mean subtlety in toning? Does it mean blast white?

Of course your opinion is just as valid as the next guy. Nobody is calling you on this. The preference is not in question. The expected result is.

Pretty much this, John's just saying it nicer than I am. You seem to have not much experience in judging coins, and that's fine, but if you're going to spend the $$$ required for an MS '28-P Peace, it pays to know the look of what you're after. You refer to Peace dollars offered with an "ugly gold tone" and I don't like toning that's too crusty either -- but I would bet you some of the coins you refer to as ugly are in the eyes of many experienced collectors, anything but.

On the other hand, you are welcome to seek out blazer bu Peace dollars, and that includes '28-P Peace's, but in insisting on "untoned" I am almost 100% positive that SOME (not all) of such coins offered to you will be dipped -- dipped -- and dipped again. Which is to an experienced eye, most undesirable. To someone perhaps not as experienced in judging a coin, "beautiful, just what I wanted" -- until maybe they get more experience, or go to try and sell it to someone with a more developed eye.

You have often touted and tut-tuted your experience with rare and valuable antiques, and more or less looked down your nose at pop culture collectibles. Consider this advice in the same vein regarding your taste in coins -- look before you leap, and learn about the desirability of what you're looking to buy. If you like the dipped-out look, more power to you -- but if so, bargain hard to get the price down. Then dicker some more. Because if you buy a dipped out Peace, I guarantee you that in the future, I will want no part of it.

All that said, it is certainly also possible to buy a brilliant specimen that isn't dipped out (not to say that it might not have been dipped, but as long as its negligible) -- preferably though, basically brilliant as made. If you're not confident in your own abilities to tell the difference, and are unwilling to make the effort to share images of the coin you're potentially interested in, such that others can offer advice (as much as is possible from a coin image) -- then have a savvy dealer such as Mark Feld pick one out for you. You may not be able to use Mark's services though, since he may not be able to do so via his role at Heritage. But use someone like him.

Good luck.

Hello All,

Pretty much this, John's just saying it nicer than I am. You seem to have not much experience in judging coins, and that's fine, but if you're going to spend the $$$ required for an MS '28-P Peace, it pays to know the look of what you're after. You refer to Peace dollars offered with an "ugly gold tone" and I don't like toning that's too crusty either -- but I would bet you some of the coins you refer to as ugly are in the eyes of many experienced collectors, anything but.

On the other hand, you are welcome to seek out blazer bu Peace dollars, and that includes '28-P Peace's, but in insisting on "untoned" I am almost 100% positive that SOME (not all) of such coins offered to you will be dipped -- dipped -- and dipped again. Which is to an experienced eye, most undesirable. To someone perhaps not as experienced in judging a coin, "beautiful, just what I wanted" -- until maybe they get more experience, or go to try and sell it to someone with a more developed eye.

You have often touted and tut-tuted your experience with rare and valuable antiques, and more or less looked down your nose at pop culture collectibles. Consider this advice in the same vein regarding your taste in coins -- look before you leap, and learn about the desirability of what you're looking to buy. If you like the dipped-out look, more power to you -- but if so, bargain hard to get the price down. Then dicker some more. Because if you buy a dipped out Peace, I guarantee you that in the future, I will want no part of it.

All that said, it is certainly also possible to buy a brilliant specimen that isn't dipped out (not to say that it might not have been dipped, but as long as its negligible) -- preferably though, basically brilliant as made. If you're not confident in your own abilities to tell the difference, and are unwilling to make the effort to share images of the coin you're potentially interested in, such that others can offer advice (as much as is possible from a coin image) -- then have a savvy dealer such as Mark Feld pick one out for you. You may not be able to use Mark's services though, since he may not be able to do so via his role at Heritage. But use someone like him.

Good luck.

First understand that I am not buying for ‘another collector’ I am buying for myself. I prefer as close to original specimens as I can find. That is my choice.

You seem to indicate by your response that because I am looking for a coin that is not overtly toned that I will instead find a dipped coin. This is possible, but it is also possible that the collector who likes toned coins will find an artificially toned specimen as well. I personally would rather have a dipped coin than a toned coin that I do not like. Isn’t that my right? An awful lot of coins were dipped there is no denying that, but an awful lot were artificially toned and are sitting in third party grading company holders as well.

To address your second point which really has no business even being discussed here I have NEVER looked down on pop culture based collectibles. If that is all you are getting out my posts, I suggest you do some more reading. What I have continued to state is that compared to most established antiques collectibles are much more volatile from an investment angle. I have a very valuable collection of pop culture based collectibles that anyone can ascertain just by reading my posts on the other side of this forum. This should not even enter this discussion and I am not sure how this is even relevant to what I am asking.