• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Mediocre Submission posted by walnutto

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

2014 Mint Sets still are not impressive.

At Least I got four MS68's and there was a few I could add

to my registry. I must be a glutton for punishment though. I ordered another 25 mint sets. What is the definition of crazy?...lol

I am quite pleased finding a pair of Lincoln Shields though.

001 2011 P ANDREW JOHNSON $1 MS 67

002 2011 P JAMES GARFIELD $1 MS 67

003 2012 P GROVER CLEVELAND 1ST TERM $1 MS 66

004 2014 D 1C MS 67 RD

005 2014 D 1C MS 68 RD

006 2014 1C MS 67 RD

007 2014 1C MS 68 RD

008 2014 1C MS 67 RD

009 2014 P EVERGLADES 25C MS 67

010 2014 P EVERGLADES 25C MS 66

011 2014 P ARCHES 25C MS 67

012 2014 P ARCHES 25C MS 67

013 2014 P SACAGAWEA NATIVE HOSPITALITY $1 MS 67

014 2014 P WARREN HARDING $1 MS 67

015 2014 D FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT $1 MS 67

016 2014 P FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT $1 MS 68

017 2014 P FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT $1 MS 67

018 2014 P CALVIN COOLIDGE $1 MS 67

019 2014 D HERBERT HOOVER $1 MS 68

020 2014 D HERBERT HOOVER $1 MS 67

021 2014 P HERBERT HOOVER $1 MS 67

022 2014 P HERBERT HOOVER $1 MS 67

See more journals by walnutto

The fun of collecting modern coins and putting them into the registry is a huge asset to the hobby. I have worked my entire career with the United States armed forces training members of the Air Force and the Navy. I have the utmost respect for anyone who is a veteran especially during times of conflict, such as we are in. All that said, there must be a but coming… I worry when I see people on a budget shelling out top dollar for high grade modern issue Mint products (and probably almost all of us who take the time to enter these data are on a budget).

With hundreds of millions to billions of each date and mint mark made the long-term stability of top population modern coins is dubious. When the state quarter program finished, a 50 coin set of silver, proof statehood quarters in NGC MS 69 was for selling $1000 per set. (I admit it I just had to have a set and they were NEAR perfection!). Now the same set is worth little more than melt value, Ouch!

If you have the money and it makes you happy, I say go for it. But recognize, in one old guy's opinion, what you will have his great entertainment but not a great investment.

Sorry for the typos team.

JTO

I have to say I'm with JTO on this. You are spending A LOT of money on 2014 Mint Sets and grading and, this is just my very humble opinion, that money could be better spent elsewhere in our great hobby, such as older coins with a proven track record or coins with lower mintages and survivorship than these Mint Set issues. Let me start this next part by saying I love the Registry. It's a ton of fun, and I have many sets on here that I love adding to but......once again my humble opinion, the Registry can breed some real insanity and create some very dangerous artificial markets for these modern issues. It IS worrisome to see a collector on a budget shelling out money on these issues as the long term viability of the pricing on these issues is unstable at best. If the day comes that Registry collecting of Modern issues goes out of vogue, then there goes all the demand and a huge chunk of money down the drain. With the funds you diverted to this project, you could have had some wonderful older issues with a proven long-term track record and good future prospects. I don't want to tell anyone what to collect, not at all. If you have the money, and you're just doing it for fun, then go for it all day long. But for investing......not so good.

I say this with all due respect to everyone here, I certainly do not want to start a huge forum war over this. I just hate to see someone on a budget essentially kill their money on this stuff when they could invest elsewhere and have better stability and a better potential return.

~Tom

Lovely debate indeed. I, too, am a near retirement in age and also a Vietnam Era Veteran. I started collecting coins when I had a paper route and was amazed of the older coins in my pocket change. I remember when we were kids we started a garden in the back yard and was turning the soil over for the first time with just shovels. I spotted what looked like a coin and went to wash it off and low and behold it was a 1897 Indian Head Penny. I was really hooked what you can find if you are really looking. That even got my younger brother hooked from that day on.

So why the story? Well, I was never rich or famous but always got by. That is how I treat by coin hobby.....a hobby. I had stopped collecting coins after my mid-20's, you know the story... career, marriage and having kids does change your priorities. Then one day after the kids were grown and gone and so was the marriage, I had thrown out my back and for two weeks really could not do much. Once I found out you could order direct from the US Mint online and could be a member of this society, I decided to get back into collecting, not just raw anymore but graded.

My goal is simple, order mint sets, break out the sets that have potential and send in those coins for graded. This was to only help pay for my modern coin registry mainly Presidents and Sacs and SBA. Why only moderns? simple, I can set order rolls and sets with older coins that is not an option and most of the good ones are taken or are too expensive. Hard to be excited about a collection of older coins when all you have is a hand full.

I have learned how to be a better graded with modern coins. By comparison, I get a lot more in quantity to improve my skills than I would on older coins. My hobby is funded by the extras I get graded and those types I don't collect. How many can say that? Also, its pride knowing you found most of your own collection.....just like I did as a child. Some of us don't have that option to collect older coins or can afford it or are in the later stages of life to start.

In summary, a hobby can be an addiction and can get out of hand if you are not careful. Always ask yourself what is the real objective before you purchase any coin. I can also take pride of those in this society that have purchased a coin graded by me first knows that it will be a coin they can be proud to have. I am running with the large bulk coin dealers and every now and again beat them at their own game!

Have a great summer!

Keith S

I've been a modern collector. I've spent lots of money on mediocre submissions. I've been chasing those modern top pops, especially the low or unique examples. I can appreciate both sides of the argument - classic coins have a more competitive and robust marketplace. Modern collectors are sparse, and if a coin is sold the wrong way at the wrong time, it'll go for 10% of its FMV unnoticed.

Once upon a time, 1853 was the present. Nobody thought to save their coins, until small cents replaced large cents. When 500 million nickels are made every year, who wants to save an MS68FS? But maybe 499 millions others weren't saved, and if all other million were graded, that top pop would be in the top 2% remaining.

Then it's a question of demand. 20,000 1994 SMS nickels are pretty valuable. How valuable is a 2014 nickel, in MS68FS, where theoretically 20,000 other peers exist, but haven't yet been graded?

Walnutto, I'm no longer adding to my collection, but you're my kind of collector. Good luck.