• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peru 100 soles 498 minted Value?

8 posts in this topic

I got this back from NGC a little while ago. According to Krause the mintage was only 498. I have checked some auction archives for value but couldnt find anything. Does anyone know if one has been sold recently, if ever, and value. NGC graded this one MS67. 666441-1953-peru-ngc67-obv.jpg

666441-1953-peru-ngc67-obv.jpg.bdda640e4c5462fb782a6d7f85dbc438.jpg

Krause usually bases its values on auction sales, so there must have been at least one sometime before the infamous 30th Ed. listed it with a $750 Unc. and BV for lower grades.

The addition of an $850 BU value in the current 32nd Ed. probably came from a more recent auction.

It's not uncommon for world gold coins to trade at relatively low premiums to melt, but with a 1.3544 oz. AGW, the coin has a current bullion value of more than $550, so perhaps a BU example would go for a little more than the Krause value, at the right auction.

Krause usually bases its values on auction sales

They actually have dealers do the pricing for countries that are their specialties. They might also use auction records, but I would guess that it is the dealers that get those and come up with a final value and supply it to Krause.

Greg,

Do you know anyone who specializes in Peru or South America? Does a low mintage have any add value? I also have the 20 soles from that year. I think I need the 50 soles for a set.

I don't know anyone who does a lot in these areas. I wish I did as I like the Peru 1/2D. I'm working on a set of those. I've got about a dozen dates mostly in MS67.

I did see one of these (size unknown) listed for sale recently. I don't believe that it had a large premium to melt. It was listed as gem BU.

Thanks Morgannut.

I recently sold that coin for a price in the middle of that range.

I think some of the prices are a bit inflated because of the Eliasburg name.