• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you look for in an indian gold piece?

46 posts in this topic

I was not saying that one should necessarily buy a "raw" coin or an authenticated one. My point is that the OP seems trapped in the "MS-62" number - which of itself is meaningless. (Put your hand over the number junk on any slabbed coin - judge only the coin. There are beautiful pieces available for the same price as garbage.)

He will have to invest more time than money. But to stick with his budget, he should buy the best looking (not "numerical") that he can locate. Time and weak demand of this design type work in his favor.

(PS: Indian quarter and half eagles have been extensively counterfeited including many with full gold content and correct dimensions. Authentication is almost mandatory.)

I understand what you're saying Roger. Thanks again my friend!

Btw, it wouldn't bother me if anyone see's something that is nice and works with my budget and points it my way. I'll be working out of town this week and stuck in a hotel room in the evenings. So the ipad will be going strong to check comments and opinions. lol

"I sincerely understand the reasoning behind everyone's points. I just know by my own experience that the money will dwindle away to other things that pop up at home. I was hoping to find something soon while I have the chance to get one."

Perhaps you should wait until you are more financially capable. You would not want to put yourself in a financial bind for a coin you do not find completely satisfying.

"I sincerely understand the reasoning behind everyone's points. I just know by my own experience that the money will dwindle away to other things that pop up at home. I was hoping to find something soon while I have the chance to get one."

Perhaps you should wait until you are more financially capable. You would not want to put yourself in a financial bind for a coin you do not find completely satisfying.

I hear what you're saying. The design is my main attraction to this coin. I've already seen a couple very nice looking AU coins that look nice. These coins are not my strong points for having knowledge of, thus the reason I posted this thread. I've already heard some great advice in which I am taking. I am going to spend a little more time looking and hope to find something appealing soon before the wife says, " Hey, the lawnmower blew up". lol

Bobby, here are a few suggestions within your budget.

1911 $2.50 Indian MS62

1913 $2.50 Indian NGC MS62

Stay away from that 1911! That has the processed, ugly, stripped surfaces and ugly yellow color that we call "white gold" - basically the equivalent of a dipped and stripped blast white coin.

But, that 1913 has really nice color. There are a couple of spots on the obverse that would probably stop me from recommending it, but the color of that one is more in line with what you are looking for.

Some of the responses in this thread seem a bit odd to me. If his budget is $500 or so dollars what is the purpose of suggesting a $2000 coin?

I think there is also a bit of dual reality when it comes to the importance of the slab. I will trust a slab more than I will trust any dealer telling me, as a novice collector, this raw coin in stock will grade MSXX. (Unless of course I had experience buying many raw coins from the same dealer with a proven track record for grading). In most cases we buy coins from all over and largely online. We can pretend the slab does not matter all we want but it has more market value and market trust for a given coin than an expert opinion....unless of course this expert is part of the PCGS or NGC team :)

Our budgets are all relative. I collected the complete set of $2.50 Indians and AU58-MS61 coins were what were available in my budget. The best written resource I found was the Mike Fuljenz book for Indian gold collectors.

I really like the 1908! Bobby, have Mark look at it if it isn't too late.

Note the weakness on the shoulder of the eagle. That is an attribute to all 1908 quarter eagles as the dies weren't engraved as well. It is NOT wear....just so you know. :)

jom

Some of the responses in this thread seem a bit odd to me. If his budget is $500 or so dollars what is the purpose of suggesting a $2000 coin?

I think there is also a bit of dual reality when it comes to the importance of the slab. I will trust a slab more than I will trust any dealer telling me, as a novice collector, this raw coin in stock will grade MSXX. (Unless of course I had experience buying many raw coins from the same dealer with a proven track record for grading). In most cases we buy coins from all over and largely online. We can pretend the slab does not matter all we want but it has more market value and market trust for a given coin than an expert opinion....unless of course this expert is part of the PCGS or NGC team :)

Our budgets are all relative. I collected the complete set of $2.50 Indians and AU58-MS61 coins were what were available in my budget. The best written resource I found was the Mike Fuljenz book for Indian gold collectors.

While my post might seem odd to you. I am a firm believer in collectors buying the best coin they can get within their budget, perhaps with a little push. Generic gold is out of favor, and according to the Gray Sheet one can buy one of these coins dated in the 1920s for $640 to $700. That is a push, but if you are going to own only one example, why not make it as nice as you can within reason?

Perusing the current Heritage auctions, these three seem nice. And we happen to know someone who works there that may be able to give you an in hand opinion of them, if you ask ;)

http://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-quarter-eagles/quarter-eagles/1908-2-1-2-ms62-pcgs-pcgs-population-1280-3322-ngc-census-2755-3240-mintage-564-800-numismedia-wsl-price-for-pr/a/1207-8969.s

http://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-quarter-eagles/quarter-eagles/1910-2-1-2-ms62-ngc-ngc-census-2864-2369-pcgs-population-1009-1187-mintage-492-000-numismedia-wsl-price-for-pro/a/131427-22594.s

http://coins.ha.com/itm/indian-quarter-eagles/quarter-eagles/1912-2-1-2-ms62-ngc-ngc-census-2590-1824-pcgs-population-1087-1323-mintage-616-000-numismedia-wsl-price-for-pro/a/131427-22599.s

Note the weakness on the shoulder of the eagle. That is an attribute to all 1908 quarter eagles as the dies weren't engraved as well. It is NOT wear....just so you know. :)

jom

Agreed that 1908 looks very nice. Bill Jones is going to check it out for me this week. Hopefully it looks good to him and stays within my budget.

I really like the 1908! Bobby, have Mark look at it if it isn't too late.

Bobby, here are a few suggestions within your budget.

1911 $2.50 Indian MS62

1913 $2.50 Indian NGC MS62

Stay away from that 1911! That has the processed, ugly, stripped surfaces and ugly yellow color that we call "white gold" - basically the equivalent of a dipped and stripped blast white coin.

But, that 1913 has really nice color. There are a couple of spots on the obverse that would probably stop me from recommending it, but the color of that one is more in line with what you are looking for.

I did notice the 1913 looked better but I also did see the spot on the obv and the dirt? In the lettering. Thanks fir the help tho guys!!

These are common enough that "if it isn't too late" likely does not apply. Take you time and get a feel for the coins.

These are common enough that "if it isn't too late" likely does not apply. Take you time and get a feel for the coins.

This!

I did notice the 1913 looked better but I also did see the spot on the obv and the dirt? In the lettering. Thanks fir the help tho guys!!

Yeah, forgot to mention that earlier. I don't like when these designs have that "dirt" in the date and lettering areas. It's probably not dirt but rather copper spots or something but I've always disliked it myself.

jom

Nope, still just looking.