• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the earliest English gold coins ...

16 posts in this topic

King Edward III (1327 - 77) was the first British monarch to issued an extensive series of gold coins. Prior to that Henry III (1216 - 72) had thought about issuing a gold penny, but most of those pieces were melted and only about six examples exist today.

The highlight of Edward III's reign was his war with France, which started the Hundred Years War. This piece has a political message with Edward one ship with a shield and a sword presumably headed in to do battle. This piece was a half noble, which had a value of 3 shillings and 4 pence. The average Englishman never saw one of these coins. They were reserved for international trade, noblemen and rich merchants. The date range for this piece is 1361 to 69.

This is my biggest investment in British coinage so far, but it won't be my last. I am looking to cover with reigns of as many British kings as possible with an eye toward getting a gold piece to fill the slots. That will be a challenge.

EdwardIIIHalfNobleO_zpsa18f60c3.jpgEdwardIIIHalfNobleR_zpsaf2e56f5.jpg

No actually NGC graded it MS-62, and it is at least that good if not better, using American grading standards. It is very frosty on both sides with no marks to speak of.

These coins were stuck with dies and a hammer. As it is with all coins, the larger it is (for a given metal) the more pressure it takes to strike it up completely. The diameter of this piece is a little more than that for a U.S. $10 gold piece.

I have another that I will post later that is close to the diameter of U.S. $20 gold piece. That one has more strike issues in addition to some wear.

What was the assay on those type coins or do you know?

Seems as pure as can be with no remnants of silver or other filler.

Very nice!

I am looking to cover with reigns of as many British kings as possible with an eye toward getting a gold piece to fill the slots.

I'm just happy to get one of each monarch. (Still need three and I'm complete back to 955.)

I am looking to cover with reigns of as many British kings as possible with an eye toward getting a gold piece to fill the slots.

I'm just happy to get one of each monarch. (Still need three and I'm complete back to 955.)

There is a Henry III (1216 - 1272) gold penny, which is very rare with, I think, six known. Then there are no British gold coins until Edward III (1327 - 1377).

It is possible to acquire gold coins for every king or queen after that with three exceptions.

Edward V was a 12 year old child who was nominally the king from April to June of 1483. He and his younger brother were probably killed by his uncle, Richard III, or by one of Richard's agents while they were captives in the Tower of London.

Jane Gray was 16 years old and declared queen in a political fight for the crown in July 1553. She "ruled" from July 10 to 19 of that year. She was ultimately beheaded for political reasons. Believe me these folks were really vicious when they were fighting over the throne. The bloody aspects of the royal secession were alluded to when Princess Diana died in that car accident in 1997.

Edward VIII served for almost a year in 1936. He abdicated so that he could marry Wallis Simpson, who was a two time divorcee and therefore an unacceptable queen. There is evidence that he didn't really want to be king anyway.

As for the others that some very expensive rarities, which is why I'll probably settle for silver to fill some of the slots.

King Edward III (1327 - 77) was the first British monarch to issued an extensive series of gold coins. Prior to that Henry III (1216 - 72) had thought about issuing a gold penny, but most of those pieces were melted and only about six examples exist today.

A stunning piece and very historical. Tho I've gravitated towards Latin American (post Colonial to the uninformed), I too have an early hammered gold: a French moulton d'or issued ca 1360, also in ms-62. I stopped collecting French some after acquiring my piece. However yours is a much more interesting coin. Do you know of any hoards which have come to light? I don't suppose you could mention what it would cost to find one of these pieces today?

I just saw this today:

"During the years 1370-1420, various major mines around Europe become completely exhausted. Mining and production of gold declines sharply throughout the region in a period known as 'The Great Bullion Famine'."

Are gold coins of this era harder to acquire that those struck earlier or later? Imagine if the New World wasn't found, early European gold coins would barely exist due to remelting and scarcity.

I could tell it was an unc. I have similar but in a French coin bought just as I was ending my French collecting period to focus on Ancients & Latin American.

Fr_dor_Jean2_both-Heritage_med.jpg

This one is a French moulton d'or of Jean II and was issued ca. 1360 - 1364, is graded PCGS-62. It was around $1600 or $1700 (w/o the juice) out of Heritage.

Really nice looking gold piece! (Both of them) I marvel at how coins that old and older are kept in such great condition. Truly amazing. How did they make the die's back then with that much detail that small?