• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1896-P Morgan - Opinions???

20 posts in this topic

The shadows make it very possible that the coin is hiding marks and/or problems that are not visible, so I am not sure that the guesses here will be very meaningful. Nevertheless, looking at the images, I could see this coin grading as high as MS67. Knowing that the 1896 is very difficult in MS67, I'll take an educated guess and say MS66.

The shadows make it very possible that the coin is hiding marks and/or problems that are not visible, so I am not sure that the guesses here will be very meaningful. Nevertheless, looking at the images, I could see this coin grading as high as MS67. Knowing that the 1896 is very difficult in MS67, I'll take an educated guess and say MS66.

+1 The surfaces of this coin just look to smooth and clean . If in fact the photo is not hiding anything I would say MS 67 is feasible.

+1 The surfaces of this coin just look to smooth and clean . If in fact the photo is not hiding anything I would say MS 67 is feasible.

I feel if it is hiding anything it's most likely on the face but I feel the face does not have many marks so 67 is a possibility.

"....something about the coin does not look natural. Probably just the image."

The color looks unnatural, to me, like silver paint from a spray can.

Can you provide additional shots to show the luster? The 1896 tends to come with satiny luster, so I wouldn't expect it to look like an 1881-S for instance, but the luster doesn't look very strong.

Luster is nice and original (came from an original roll, to answer previous posters question) Here it is on a 66 like you speak of...

Bright light confused camera's white balance on last pic - This is more in line with how it should look...

148342.jpg.4e80bc458caa2713aefa43334c952628.jpg

148343.jpg.31a5244d9e0dcb70b938659f6e6fb4b9.jpg

I'm thinking MS67. You should definitely submit. If it slabs as a 67, it should be worth a $3k or so.

I don't think MS67's are worth $3000 these days. They were before a group of high grade examples was slabbed within the past several months, but not anymore.

That aside, the coin looks like an MS66 to me.