• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheerios Sacagawea with 1999 Rev. Still in the Packaging,

9 posts in this topic

( I cannot post pictures. I have tried all sorts of things to attach but it always says my file is too large. It is one little jpg so not sure what to do. I did post this on craigslist as well which has been an experience to say the least. Lot of $10 offers. But here is link to the picture at least: https://post.craigslist.org/imagepreview/00x0x_keL0rcmCpin_600x450.jpg)

My first post! Whoop.

It required me selling a obscure, not well known coin to finally take the 3 minutes to register on a coin forum. As the title says---I have a Cheerios Dollar still in package. It is my rarest and most prized 'modern coin'. It was fun to find one and fun to have a coin even a lot of seasoned collectors are unaware of but time to move on.

It does have the die polish lines below the "P". The coin does not display any spotting thank goodness. The package is not like it was 'fresh out of the box' but in good shape. No wear, tears, holes or anything.

It few people are aware of this coin.

I am in Indy/Kentucky/Cincy area by the way. I guess you can reply on here or I think you can send me private messages as well.

Edit:

My asking price?

I don't know. These are getting harder and harder to find in the original packaging and also display the die polish marker. I don't want to over-hype it but I think this coin is making a slow comeback. In 08 and 09 prices went crazy and the crazy prices sort of burst it's own bubble and I think prices over-corrected. I also think a lot of collectors figure once it got more well know that hundreds or maybe a thousand or more of these would pop up but that has not been the case at all.

The last 2 still in the packaging to sell on Ebay sold last month for 7k (I don't know how that seller got 7k because his pictures were super suspicious and he had ripped it out of the cardboard backing but I guess it worked out) and one in Feb for 7.6k.

I go with the market but I guess I'd start it out at $7000.

Any advise or opinion are greatly appreciated.

The Marketplace requires that you post a clear asking price for items being sold. Without any pictures, I can also let you know that most people will not have much interest. It's 2014, so even a feeble attempt at photographs is better than none.

Best of luck! This is a very scarce and difficult coin...I hope it goes to a good new home.

Planman2014, you may ask whatever you'd like for the coin, that is your prerogative. I can let you know that in the past 1 year, four examples have sold on Heritage Auctions -- all graded MS67 or MS68 by NGC or PCGS. The low was $4100 the high was $8200. The raw (ungraded) examples I have seen in the past couple years usually sell for a few thousand dollars less.

I'm not a serious interested party in this particular coin, so you will have to work out the sell price with an interested buyer.

I uploaded your picture below:

sacagawea_cheerio_for_sale_zps8be9d20e.jpg

Nothing against the seller, but be very careful with these. I saw a thread ATS about a regular one in a fake Cheerios holder.

I take no offense. Sadly--it took very little time after the discovery for fakes to pop up.

It does happen. This the downside of living in a low population area----a very small amount of buyers.

I'd say this---I'd personally NEVER buy this coin raw without seeing it unless you really, really trust the seller and are confident he/she can authenticate it properly.