• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

struck through coins? -Updated w/PICS of the strikethrough. Idea on value?

26 posts in this topic

So, I have some coins at NGC currently and I just saw that one of them has been noted as "struck through"... I have a general knowledge about what they are and how they happen, but know nothing about popularity/value/etc..

Is there usually a premium on "struck through" coins? Are they highly pursued/collected/etc? are they considered a mint error, or variety...? I haven't ever heard people talking about them, Ive never gotten the impression that they are popular, or in high demand. I am just wondering, does anyone here have any insight? Here are some pics of this particular coin.

20140707_181440-1_zps857c04ed.jpg

20140707_181552-1_zps4bbd8aff.jpg

20140707_181449-1_zps0d5ea8e2.jpg

Thanks.

Edited by AHFreak

They are usually unattractive and, although they are a mint error, they are not sought after or sold for a premium. If they are too noticeable; they can be considered as a big negative and a detraction. I have owned one and I did not like it.

The value depends on the type of strikethrough. Grease-filled dies are very common, but for some error collectors, coins struck through some foreign object such as a piece of wire, dropped element, etc. can sell for some premium. It also depends on whether the object is retained or not. Just recently, a collector on another forum posted a coin with a retained strikethrough. It was a complete staple believed to have come from one of the bristle brushes that are ordinarily used to clean machinery.

Chris

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I do not have a picture but will post as soon as I get said coin back. its at NGC now, they are graded, but grades haven't posted yet. I just noticed that they added "reverse strikethrough" to the variety/pedigree area so I thought I would ask. I deal with proofs a lot, and I have seen a handful of strikethroughs, but nothing like this one. I will post pics as soon as I have it, or list cert. # if its noticeable in the picture on NGC once I can see that.

Thanks again.

AHF, as stated above it depends on the kind of strikethrough. Proof coins especially shouldn't have strkethroughs, but it happens. Struck through a small wire fragment or thread, not so much a premium. Struck through cloth, huge premium.

Other coins have been struck through reeding, they bring quite a premium. The SMS coins that I remember seeing that brought a big premium were half dollars that were struck through string. I know you go through a lot of mint sets and there are tons out there with minor strike throughs like small threads or tiny wires, not sure why this was such a problem with this series, maybe RWB can help out there... but it seems to be a major problem especially with Halves and Quarters.

I saw the following coin earlier this week and it brought a huge premium.

cloth5c.jpg

That Jeff is really cool!

My favorite strikethrough is on the reverse of an 1889 Morgan I acquired in a Scotsman auction many years ago though the strikethrough isn't noted on the slab. It appears to be a sliver of cloth which begins near the "n" of IGWT, runs diagonally across the eagle's breast, crosses the arrows and then splits in two directions across the wreath and "LL" of DOLLAR.

Chris

Chris, I would love to see a picture of that!

Unfortunately, I'd need my stereomicroscope hooked up to do it justice, but where I'm currently living, I don't have room.

Chris

Strike-through coins are fairly common. Cloths, metal and bristle brushes, metal flakes, and bits of wooden tool handles used in proximity to the toggle presses all were sources of debris that could fall on a planchet, or occasionally become stuck to a die.

coindude, that is one cool nickel. I am glad I posted this, because up until yesterday, when I thought of a "strikethrough" I thought of the very minor ones I have personally found in sets... little things like string, thread(s), small stuff... I have never even heard of a coin struckthrough an entire rag... that is awesome.

Anyways, on this quarter, I believe it must have been a semi-roundish piece of metal flake or something, it is on the reverse, in the eagle's wing. Again, I will post pics as soon as I get the coin back from graders.

Keep the cool pics and examples of strikethroughs coming guys..

just updated with pics, I would love any opinions on whether or not I should expect any premium on this, due to the "strikethrough", or if I should just try to get whatever a 67Cam is worth or what...

Thanks.

If it wasn't a Cameo I would think it would be worth more. A common 1957 proof quarter even in 67 isn't that big a deal so the strikethrough would make it somethng special.

But on a pre 70's cameo proof you have something that has decreased the value. Cameos are scarce and something special in their own right and as such highly desired. What you now have is a coin which would be highly desired but which is defective. That defect costs it much of the its desirability in the cameo market and any additional premium for the strikethrough can't make up for the cameo market loss.

interesting perspective... well, I sent it with the "lets see what happens attitude" I knew it was a decent grade cameo, but I didn't know how the "damage/defect" would affect grade... so I was submitting for the learning opportunity as much as anything...

Thanks for the insight.

PS- That struckthrough cent is awesome... I can see how one like this quarter is nothing special, and even takes away from the coin, versus one of these major strikethroughs where the whole coin, or half the coin was struck through a rag or something... I will be keeping an eye out for one of those major struckthrough coins...

Here's one struck through a fine piece of wire or non-woven filament. 1880-S, PL.

1880-S-017_zps38997bda.jpg

Yeah, this one falls in the "go home" category rather than "go big". It would sell for a discount unless you happen across someone who it hoarding minor strike-thrus.

I realize the type of strike thru diminishes the value of this coin, but I like the way it twists through the field, letters and portrait. Examination at 80x shows no texture to the defect so I suspect it was made by a piece of fine electrical wire. The material deformed as it was struck in the upper portion of the wheat head between I and B. This was the only material I can think of that was in the mint at that time that was this small, thin, round and smooth.

To clarify, my "go home" comment refers to the OP's coin. The long strike-thru wire on the 80-S dollar is something I think is kind of cool, and wouldn't hurt the value of a sub-gem 80-S.

Hi I had just inquired a 1939 d quarter that seems to have I retain strikethrough of a piece of brass struct into Washington's face I was wondering if I could get someone's opinion on this? Should I have it graded?

20200719_132056.jpg

mir_20200719_150744.jpg