• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1983 Libertad Proof Silver ONZA coin

3 posts in this topic

I bought a 1982-83 proof coin set, and after closer observation I discovered the silver libertad 1 onza proof shows double die markings on the date and lettering of the coin.

My question: What are the thoughts of the people on this board with respect to when I send it in to be graded should I ask the double die to be identified on the label? I believe the coin will grade in at a PF68 or 67.

Hi Kmag,

I too have a 1983 Proof Onza with the doubled die on the date and lettering. As for asking for attribution on the label, well, I'd say that's up to you. First off, in my experience, a doubled die has to be pretty significant for NGC to mark it on the label. I have an Ottoman Empire 20 Para coin with a very obvious doubled die obverse that NGC didn't feel was pronounced enough to mark on the label, and the doubled die on that coin is more obvious than the one on the 1983 Proof Onza as it involves more elements on the obverse than what's doubled on the Onza and it's much more pronounced. So I basically spent $15 for nothing. Also, the 1983 Proof Onza only has a mintage of 998 coins, which means that there likely weren't many die pairs involved in the production of the coin. So it's likely that a decent percentage of the entire mintage of 1983 Proof Onzas has the doubled date and letters. As for me, I recently sent my 1983 in and didn't bother to try for the doubled die attribution. The 1983 Proof Onza is a cool enough coin on its own.....I wouldn't throw the $15 away if I were you.

~Tom

NGC has a limited "list" of varieties they will identify, If your 83 DDO Onza isn't already in a major recognized reference and on their "list" they will not list it on the label.