• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice on Roosevelts and Kennedys

34 posts in this topic

Send that 1946D

I'll consider it. Is it considered a "modern" as far as submissions go (ie lower cost submission)? Like I've said I don't submit coins all that much.

jom

no :( only post-1954 coins are considered modern for grading fees (NGC)

can you sell me some of these toned 1964-1970 halves that are "easy to find"?

nice, true rainbow toned 64-70 aren't that easy to find, or they wouldn't be selling for 7x-10x their FMV

. the last 3x 64 and 64-D halves I've sold, sold for $190 (MS65), $295 (MS65) and $450 (MS66), while 21 beautiful uncirculated toned clads just sold on ebay for only about 8x their FACE VALUE , and i suspect the majority of these bids were placed because there was one 64' and one 67' in the lot. I was the underbidder on this auction at $88 and was outbid in the last seconds - but if i did win the auction, i would really not care much for the clads.. i went for the 1964 and the 1967.

but that's just my opinion, perhaps the market is different and for some reason it does not reflect on prices at all (shrug)

lol... I was the consignor on those JFKs. They came from a blue Whitman album I bought last two years at the Whitman Baltimore Show. They were pretty but not toned to the level I prefer. There were a couple of coins in the album that were outstanding though. The 67 was beautiful. That came from one those hinged box velvet JFK Collection sets. Usually the clads in those sets are all ugly but the silver coins are neon in color. Its hard getting them into plastic though. They are definitely NT but are not MA.

As for the easier to find comment... yes monster 64-70s are hard to find - any monster/moose toners whatever the denomination are hard to find but silver toned JFKs are much easier to find than clad. Its usually only Dansco albums that produce nice colorful toning on clads. And even then it might only be a few coins out of an entire album.

It would be quite the challenge to assemble a complete year/mint-mark set of toned JFKs.

yeah. the silver and silver-clad ones tone much easier, but many of them just tone ugly (especially the silver-clad ones, often found with just yellow/brown tone). the later clad halves, though, almost always tone in a nice target pattern in albums and very colorful with a halo effect (like the ones in that Whitman album). i didn't know you consigned that album for sale. it had some very nice coins in it - i really wanted to see that 1967 half in hand, and also the coin right next to it (couldn't make out the date but i thought it looked like 1964. with the toned reverse, any pics of this one?).

Well it was part of the album. It wasnt complete and I removed about 1/2 coins from it that were really nice. The clads for me are hardiest to find. I wonder if that has more to do with humidity than anything else. I find more toned clads on the east coast than the west coast.

And sorry no pics. Im not very good at photos. But the 67 was beautiful. Whoever got it scored a great deal. The price paid was worth it just for the 67. The 64 was okay.

Well it was part of the album. It wasnt complete and I removed about 1/2 coins from it that were really nice. The clads for me are hardiest to find. I wonder if that has more to do with humidity than anything else. I find more toned clads on the east coast than the west coast.

And sorry no pics. Im not very good at photos. But the 67 was beautiful. Whoever got it scored a great deal. The price paid was worth it just for the 67. The 64 was okay.

Definitely. I thought the 67 was VERY nice. With the 64 at a minimum of $15 and almost $10 face value of clads, someone got a nice deal for sure!

And yes, besides the different composition of the coins that makes them tone slower and in a different way, it's also the storage conditions and the heat/humidity. One example is the key largo coins that Shane is selling on eBay now. I know a few collectors here in New York City that had some albums stored here in their attic/garage that toned similarly.