• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice on Roosevelts and Kennedys

34 posts in this topic

Hello alll

I've signed up some months ago for the PCGS grading membership and I've got 8 submissions to use up. I do not send in coins enough and it was probably dumb for me to sign up with these "free" submissions (I won't do that again). Now I have to use the damn things but I don't have enough older coins to send in. I've been thinking about what to send in that are worth enough to bother with.

I've got some silver Roosevelt dimes with pretty toning (dates 48-64 or so) I've had for years and some clad Kennedy halves (dates 70s and early 80s) that have toned nice in my Dansco I'd like to send in. However, I'm not sure if they are worth enough slabbed to bother sending them in.

Generally speaking what grade level would be a cut good cut off point to consider sending coins in for grading on these? I don't know the markets well enough to know whether to bother. For example, if I judge my 1983 half to be at least MS65 is that worth enough at that grade level to have it certified or does it have to come back MS67 to even bother with it?

Experts in these markets (especially toner experts) would be of great help.

Thanks

jom

The cut off for whether or not a coin justifies the cost of certification depends on the series. For Roosies and Kennedy's I'd say the bare minimum for certification would be MS 65, anything less wouldn't be worth bothering with, unless it is an error coin.

Kennedy's from 1971 and on, MS67 minimum.

Roosies, 66FT minimum

Notice he said Kennedy's were 70's and 80's , so besides 1970, I don't think any MS65's are gonna be worth certifying.. That's my opinion.

The other thing to consider is that a "modern" coin is only $16 to certify (PCGS), I believe the earlier stuff is like double that. so unless your coupon expires soon, I would look for some earlier stuff that you can get good value on raw, and send that in.

Also, specifically speaking.. IMO, if your post-1970 Kennedys have exceptional color/rainbow/etc.. I would say that its worth it to grade them if they are at least MS65 and better.

I know that I have some roosies and Kennedys that having toning that IMO warrants the coin being slabbed regardless of grade. (unless were circulated of course.).

'82 and '83 might be worth it if they are lock 65's and have a shot at higher grades. Otherwise I'd tend to look at 66 for P mint and 67 for D mint. Attractive toning won't hurt.

This market seems to be perking up nicely but I'm not sure it's affected the high end coins yet.

Thanks guy...keep it going!

When/if I have time I'll post a couple of pics...

jom

The first 1982-P looks 65+ could go either way 65/66 a $60 coin with perhaps a little for the added color. Get a hold of Shane (Kryptonitecomics) he'll tell you the poop, especially if your wanting a consignment.

If you want these for part of your collection, submit what ever pleases you and don't worry about the value...keep the collecting frame of mind and have fun.

I don't think certification would add a lot of value to those pieces even though they are very nice. Moreover, if you were to submit them to PCGS, I would submit most of them under the cheaper modern tier rather than the more expensive tier covered by your vouchers.

I will buy the JFKs without you sending them in.

And yes there's no premium for color on any JFK under MS67 as yonico and says.

It doesnt look like any are 67s.

Let me know your price. Thanks.

And yes there's no premium for color on anyJFK under MS67 as yonico and says.

This is not accurate in my experience, and I have seen Kennedy Half Dollars sell for premiums because of the color even in mid to lower uncirculated grade ranges. Granted, the premium is usually small for the very low end, but I have seen nice premiums for coins grading as low as MS64.

To be clear, I still maintain that certification would add little to the value of these specific pieces and they are best enjoyed as is.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm leaning toward not bothering as I don't see any of these being MS67 with the exception of maybe the 46 Roosey's...maybe one or two of the JFKs are MS66 but overall I'm not sure they are worth using the vouchers on since there are lesser submission tiers.

Which leaves me with the same problem...how to use these damn vouchers. lol

Thanks all!

jom

PS: The coins are not nor will they be for sale. :grin:

And yes there's no premium for color on anyJFK under MS67 as yonico and says.

This is not accurate in my experience, and I have seen Kennedy Half Dollars sell for premiums because of the color even in mid to lower uncirculated grade ranges. Granted, the premium is usually small for the very low end, but I have seen nice premiums for coins grading as low as MS64.

To be clear, I still maintain that certification would add little to the value of these specific pieces and they are best enjoyed as is.

I said any kennedy 1971 and later.

If these were 1964-1970, I would send them in even if I thought they're only 65's.

While the halves posted in the pics above are VERY nice, I don't believe certification would do any good or add any value. Would probably do better if sold raw. Even an 83-P in MS66 would not be worth the submission fees, in my opinion..

Then again, if certifying for any reason other then marketing/selling, you should send whatever you'd like to send..

Again, these are very nice!

Go shopping!!!!

:facepalm:

Gee...big help there....Irving.

lol

jom

If these were 1964-1970, I would send them in even if I thought they're only 65's.

I didn't see your post and I was responding to a poster who said that there weren't "any" JFK half dollars that carried a toning premium in grades less than MS67. The statement I was responding to did not narrow it to a specific date range.

Jom,

Maybe you can receive a few coins from others and submit them on their behalf? I have a few that I can send you. Just charge cost plus and postage/ insurance.

I'm sure some others will help you out. You wont make much but you wont lose either.

Send me a PM if this sounds reasonable.

Go shopping!!!!

:facepalm:

Gee...big help there....Irving.

lol

jom

I'm sure you could find some nice raw bust coins at the next Long Beach show.

I didn't see your post and I was responding to a poster who said that there weren't "any" JFK half dollars that carried a toning premium in grades less than MS67. The statement I was responding to did not narrow it to a specific date range.

I realize that.. Just wanted to make myself clear.

I've sold a 64 and 64-D in the past in high multiples of their FMV because of their attractive toning. Clad silver ones at a very nice premium, too.

Could never get any significant premium for the 71'-present, even on toned ones (comparable to these of the OP).

If it were me, I'd sell these raw, and use the voucher for something else..

I've used my "freebies" for regrades before........ useful if you have coins that might upgrade.

The problem is that ALL of the coins have to be used for the same type of submission AND must be done all at one time. Quite frustrating....I'm pretty sure I won't sign up for that type of membership again....

jom

I've sold a 64 and 64-D in the past in high multiples of their FMV because of their attractive toning. Clad silver ones at a very nice premium, too.

Could never get any significant premium for the 71'-present, even on toned ones (comparable to these of the OP).

Please PM with < MS67 raw clad post-1971 JFKs with toning comparable to the ones posted by the OP that you have for sale. I would like to buy them from you.

Thanks.

Please PM with < MS67 raw clad post-1971 JFKs with toning comparable to the ones posted by the OP that you have for sale. I would like to buy them from you.

Thanks.

I don't have any.. since i was never able to make any money on them, as i mentioned above, i never bothered to buy any again..

all the toned Kennedy's i have are 1964-1970, if you'd like to buy any of these you could PM me, but these DO carry a premium..

all the toned Kennedy's i have are 1964-1970, if you'd like to buy any of these you could PM me, but these DO carry a premium..

Those years are easier to find toned. Nicely toned clads are much harder to locate. Well if you ever do come across them, my offer stands. Thank you.

Those years are easier to find toned. Nicely toned clads are much harder to locate. Well if you ever do come across them, my offer stands. Thank you.

can you sell me some of these toned 1964-1970 halves that are "easy to find"?

nice, true rainbow toned 64-70 aren't that easy to find, or they wouldn't be selling for 7x-10x their FMV

. the last 3x 64 and 64-D halves I've sold, sold for $190 (MS65), $295 (MS65) and $450 (MS66), while 21 beautiful uncirculated toned clads just sold on ebay for only about 8x their FACE VALUE , and i suspect the majority of these bids were placed because there was one 64' and one 67' in the lot. I was the underbidder on this auction at $88 and was outbid in the last seconds - but if i did win the auction, i would really not care much for the clads.. i went for the 1964 and the 1967.

but that's just my opinion, perhaps the market is different and for some reason it does not reflect on prices at all (shrug)

can you sell me some of these toned 1964-1970 halves that are "easy to find"?

nice, true rainbow toned 64-70 aren't that easy to find, or they wouldn't be selling for 7x-10x their FMV

. the last 3x 64 and 64-D halves I've sold, sold for $190 (MS65), $295 (MS65) and $450 (MS66), while 21 beautiful uncirculated toned clads just sold on ebay for only about 8x their FACE VALUE , and i suspect the majority of these bids were placed because there was one 64' and one 67' in the lot. I was the underbidder on this auction at $88 and was outbid in the last seconds - but if i did win the auction, i would really not care much for the clads.. i went for the 1964 and the 1967.

but that's just my opinion, perhaps the market is different and for some reason it does not reflect on prices at all (shrug)

lol... I was the consignor on those JFKs. They came from a blue Whitman album I bought last two years at the Whitman Baltimore Show. They were pretty but not toned to the level I prefer. There were a couple of coins in the album that were outstanding though. The 67 was beautiful. That came from one those hinged box velvet JFK Collection sets. Usually the clads in those sets are all ugly but the silver coins are neon in color. Its hard getting them into plastic though. They are definitely NT but are not MA.

As for the easier to find comment... yes monster 64-70s are hard to find - any monster/moose toners whatever the denomination are hard to find but silver toned JFKs are much easier to find than clad. Its usually only Dansco albums that produce nice colorful toning on clads. And even then it might only be a few coins out of an entire album.

It would be quite the challenge to assemble a complete year/mint-mark set of toned JFKs.

Send that 1946D

I'll consider it. Is it considered a "modern" as far as submissions go (ie lower cost submission)? Like I've said I don't submit coins all that much.

Actually if you still have that 1949S I sold you a while ago.... Crack that sucker!

I kind of wish I did but I sold that last year...actually I think it was in trade if memory serves. :(

jom