• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin ideas

28 posts in this topic

In my honest opinion, I think that the modern rendition of Saint Gaudens' striding liberty figure on the obverse of the American Gold Eagle is cheap, tasteless, makes a beautiful design ugly. Since there has been talk of changing the reverse of the American Silver Eagle because the 25 year minimum on coin designs has expired, I think that there should also be talk of changing a cheap and ugly rendition of a beautiful design.

I think that the US Mint should adopt a new design on the obverse of all the American Gold Eagle coins that would feature a portrait of Theodore Roosevelt. The portrait of Theodore Roosevelt used would be the bust of Theodore Roosevelt that was used on the Saint Gaudens 1905 Inaugural Medal. Theodore Roosevelt is one of the greatest Presidents that we have had which have not been honored on a regularly issued coin that is issued year after year. I think that is something that should change.

It would be fitting if the US Mint made this change starting in 2019, the 100th anniversary of Theodore Roosevelt's death.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about these ideas.

Interesting idea and many would agree that TR was one of our most effective and popular Presidents. A couple of minor adjustments, however.

The portrait of Theodore Roosevelt used would be the bust of Theodore Roosevelt that was used on the Saint Gaudens 1905 Inaugural Medal. Theodore Roosevelt is one of the greatest Presidents that we have had which have not been honored on a regularly issued coin that is issued year after year. I think that is something that should change.

Roosevelt did not like Saint-Gaudens’ portrait on the Inaugural medal. This is documented in his personal correspondence – publically he praised the artist.

Several proposals have been made to issue a circulating coin with Roosevelt’s portrait. Unfortunately, he was very unpopular with the Elephant Party bosses during both his term of office and up to the present day. TR was an effective visionary and social progressive who wanted to curb the power of big business and banking, and promoted a level-field for everyone. He cared about people and pragmatic problem solving not ideology, and that places him on the wrong side of the tracks for his Party a century ago and even more so today.

Thanks for the input RWB. If Theodore Roosevelt disliked the Saint Gaudens portrait, then that wouldn't be fitting at all. If the Saint Gaudens portrait isn't good, I'm sure there are artists out there that would be able to come up with something very fitting to honor Roosevelt.

Here are hundreds of life portraits of TR. James Fraser's is excellent, but so are Hermon MacNeil's and Victor Brenner's and a bunch more. The Medallic Art Company frontal portrait by Ralph Menconi, is also quite good.

TR and his distant cousin FDR were the most painted/sculpted/engraved Presidents during their lifetimes in US history.

I think that Teddy Roosevelt was one of our greatest presidents---a hunter, a soldier & a true gentleman. I wouldn't mind, at all, having a coin bearing his likeness.

I do think, in a way, that adding the St. Gaudens design to the one ounce gold eagle sort of cheapens the original. Same goes for A.A. Weinman's design on the ASE.

But, ultimately, I feel that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, which makes having the real thing (Half dollar & double eagle) all that much better.

But, ultimately, I feel that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, which makes having the real thing (Half dollar & double eagle) all that much better.

I honestly do feel that way. But IMO, there's a way to do it and there's a way not to do it. The 2009 UHR, was the best modern rendition of the Saint Gaudens Double Eagle.

The 2009 small diameter was the idea of Mint Director Moy. It has some technical flaws, but was certainly something special made in appreciation of coin collectors.

Moy envisioned this as the final "reuse" of the "renaissance designs" before initiation of a new artistic design renaissance -- which has yet to be realized.

After reading Doris Kerns Goodman's book, The Bully Pulpit, I have come to the conclusion that Theodore Roosevelt was a great president during his first term, but got a bit too full of himself during his second. His run as a Bull Moose in 1912 was based in pure ego, pushed by a powerful desire to get back into the White House, even at the expense of ending his friendship with William Howard Taft.

Like every president who has been successful, when Roosevelt served his full second, that term he was not as successful. Even Franklin a Roosevelt, who served three gull terms was at his weakest during term #2. His plan to pack the Supreme Court, and second economic slow down of 1937 were a reflection that he too was getting too big for his britches, just like his cousin Teddy. World War 2 revived the FDR presidency.

I really do not support putting Theodore Roosevelt's portrait on the gold eagle. We have had enough presidents on coins already, not counting the presidential dollar series. I don't know how that would make the coin more attractive. He was not exactly Hollywood, drop dead gordious.

After reading Doris Kerns Goodman's book, The Bully Pulpit, I have come to the conclusion that Theodore Roosevelt was a great president during his first term, but got a bit too full of himself during his second. His run as a Bull Moose in 1912 was based in pure ego, pushed by a powerful desire to get back into the White House, even at the expense of ending his friendship with William Howard Taft.

Like every president who has been successful, when Roosevelt served his full second, that term he was not as successful. Even Franklin a Roosevelt, who served three gull terms was at his weakest during term #2. His plan to pack the Supreme Court, and second economic slow down of 1937 were a reflection that he too was getting too big for his britches, just like his cousin Teddy. World War 2 revived the FDR presidency.

I really do not support putting Theodore Roosevelt's portrait on the gold eagle. We have had enough presidents on coins already, not counting the presidential dollar series. I don't know how that would make the coin more attractive. He was not exactly Hollywood, drop dead gordious.

A TR gold eagle won't make the coin more attractive, but it will allow the US Mint to discontinue a cheap and unattractive version of the Saint Gaudens Double Eagle. All Presidents have had their weak points, but they are still worth honoring, aren't they?

I tend to favor national symbols and unity on circulating coinage; use of commemorative NCLT for persons and events of national importance; and medals for individuals of political office. Of course, those distinctions are about as popular as sitting on porcupine quills for some....

A TR gold eagle won't make the coin more attractive, but it will allow the US Mint to discontinue a cheap and unattractive version of the Saint Gaudens Double Eagle. All Presidents have had their weak points, but they are still worth honoring, aren't they?

You said you wanted a more attractive coin. I don't know that I would associate portraits of middle aged men, who were not known for their good looks with "attractive." The idea of depicting some national symbols sounds more in line with improving the appearance of the to me.

And, no, not all presidents are worth honoring. As Harry Truman said of a few of them, "They were not worth a damn." That's putting it a bit harshly, but why honor failure?

If you want look up a few names, start with Pierce, Buchanan and Harding.

I'd rather see a full figure length but NEW classic design of Liberty on a modern coin much like the St. Gaudens and/or the Walking Liberty only different. I think that Bust coinage of presidents, etc. etc. is boring, redundant & duplicative regardless of who it is. There are plenty of good artists out there.

I've always been a fan of allegorical representations of our national values. I also think that new revisions of those values should be used rather than retro-versions. I concur with those saying that the use of St Gaudens design on the gold eagle and Adolf Weinman's design on the silver eagle should be changed. Since these designs have been in use since 1986 the continued use of those designs seems to cheapen the originals.

As an example of the direction I think the US mint should move are the designs used on the $100 platinum eagles. I love those designs for their art and beauty and in particular the "Foundations of Democracy" and the "Preamble to the Constitution" series. Unfortunately as it turns out, the US mint has saved their best artwork for coins practically no-one can afford to collect.

When I was a YN however, I was in favor of one retro design and that was Frank Gasparro's rendition of Liberty for the small dollar. Instead we got Susan B Anthony and the rest as they say is history. Admittedly, in that instance, regardless of the design, the small dollar was doomed to fail anyway. Thankfully, medals from the 1969 ANA convention have preserved the design for collectors like this silver example from my personal collection.

Gary

1969_ANA_SIL_OBV-1_zpsad908484.jpg

T. Roosevelt was a great character and an OK president but I'd greatly prefer an allegorical Liberty - something as modern and updated as was the Peace dollar in its day. I'd also prefer it be taken directly from sculpture instead of cartoon-cut by computer. Much our classic coinage derives its beauty from the human touch. I love the rough-hewn fields of the buff nickel and the little imperfections that add interest.

I also think that the US Mint is wasting time and effort minting the clad proof and uncirculated sets. The US Mint is making clad proof and uncirculated sets which fall really low in value a few years after the product sells out at the mint. Even the ones which have lower mintages like the 2004 proof set fall after a few years. The 2004 clad proof set, for example, was valued around $70 in 2005 but can now be bought for around $9. At least the US Mint's silver coin products have the price of silver to act as a floor on their value.

I think that the US Mint should discontinue the clad proof set and keep only the silver proof set.

Also, I think that the clad uncirculated set should be discontinued. In its place, there should be a silver uncirculated set and a silver reverse proof set introduced.

The silver reverse proof set would be struck at San Francisco, the silver uncirculated set would be struck at Denver, while the silver proof set would be struck at Philadelphia.

I look forward to further input!

In my honest opinion, I think that the modern rendition of Saint Gaudens' striding liberty figure on the obverse of the American Gold Eagle is cheap, tasteless, makes a beautiful design ugly. Since there has been talk of changing the reverse of the American Silver Eagle because the 25 year minimum on coin designs has expired, I think that there should also be talk of changing a cheap and ugly rendition of a beautiful design.

I think that the US Mint should adopt a new design on the obverse of all the American Gold Eagle coins that would feature a portrait of Theodore Roosevelt. The portrait of Theodore Roosevelt used would be the bust of Theodore Roosevelt that was used on the Saint Gaudens 1905 Inaugural Medal. Theodore Roosevelt is one of the greatest Presidents that we have had which have not been honored on a regularly issued coin that is issued year after year. I think that is something that should change.

It would be fitting if the US Mint made this change starting in 2019, the 100th anniversary of Theodore Roosevelt's death.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about these ideas.

Personally, I think that adding yet one more dead president on a US Coin, bullion or not, is a very poor idea.....................

In this political climate? I don't think either party would vote to put an image of the other party on circulating U.S. coinage (and that goes for both sides of the aisle). If you want unity on choosing a president, you better look far back - like the Whigs, Federalists, and other defunct parties, etc.

I think that the US Mint should discontinue the clad proof set and keep only the silver proof set.

Also, I think that the clad uncirculated set should be discontinued. In its place, there should be a silver uncirculated set and a silver reverse proof set introduced.

But percentagewise they make more profit on the clad sets, and they sell more of them as well. The fact that they fall through the floor in the aftermarket doesn't matter that much to the Mint, they've already made their money.

But percentagewise they make more profit on the clad sets, and they sell more of them as well. The fact that they fall through the floor in the aftermarket doesn't matter that much to the Mint, they've already made their money.

Still, the mintages are declining for the clad proof and the mint sets and the metals used in the clad coins are going to change in the not too distant future. The US Mint might as well bite the bullet and make collector coins only in their original compositions rather than the ever changing compositions of the coins today and in the future.

Each of the sets proposed (the silver proof, reverse proof, and uncirculated sets) would cost more than the clad proof or uncirculated set. Thus guaranteeing that the US Mint would make good money.

Once the metal composition changes, I would not just discontinue the clad proof and mint sets, I would even go as far to have the half dollar only be made for the silver proof, silver reverse proof, and silver uncirculated sets. This would also help encourage sales for the sets as the only way to get the half dollar would be through the proposed sets. The US Mint used a similar tactic in 1987 which drove up sales for their sets that year.

I have no issue with any of the bullion eagle designs. But it has been over 25 years so I have no objection to a change. But no more dead Presidents please.

Still, the mintages are declining for the clad proof and the mint sets

The general trend for the silver proof sets has also been downward.

If we can all agree that the ASE and AGE obverse needs a new design, then that's a start. Maybe it would be difficult to get TR on a coin, but something should be done. Why doesn't the US Mint try to realize the "artistic renaissance" that Moy envisioned through the obverse of the AGE and ASE. At least we can get rid of a cheap rendition of a popular design.

If we can all agree that the ASE and AGE obverse needs a new design, then that's a start. Maybe it would be difficult to get TR on a coin, but something should be done. Why doesn't the US Mint try to realize the "artistic renaissance" that Moy envisioned through the obverse of the AGE and ASE. At least we can get rid of a cheap rendition of a popular design.
Personally, I would rather not think about Moy and his "vision" is not being implemented because he no longer works there.

Personally, I would rather not think about Moy and his "vision" is not being implemented because he no longer works there.

Which could, in the opinion of some, be the problem, and may not be, in the opinion of some, the problem.

For he( Mr. RWB :gossip:) who is much more well versed in the subject than I am, isn't there a citizens advisory committee that influences these decisions and choices?

Still that doesn't change the fact that it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 21st century artistic renaissance which could be realized on our coinage. Still that doesn't change the fact that the Saint Gaudens and Weinmann designs on the AGE and ASE are cheapened versions of the originals.

Which could, in the opinion of some, be the problem, and may not be, in the opinion of some, the problem.

For he( Mr. RWB :gossip:) who is much more well versed in the subject than I am, isn't there a citizens advisory committee that influences these decisions and choices?

Yes, RWB used to be on the CCAC.