• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1938 Buffalo Nickel D or D/S?

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a micrscope to better see the coins that I collect. I wanted to get some Buffalo Nickels Slabbed so I began looking at them and I noticed that a lot of them seem to have problems. Take this 1938 for example, Is it a regular D mintmark or a D/S? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

The one you posted is not a D/S.

Here are images of a D/S.

Edited to add: Information such as this is readily available on the internet these days.

I had a D/S 1938 Buffalo and the center of the "D" has a rather obvious to the naked eye bar running through it. Yous is most likely machine doubling.

There are several different D/S dies. The TPG only certify the strongest one as a D/S but that doesn't mean the other dies aren't D/S as well. There are also several D/D dies as well. This appears to possibly be a D/? but I can't tell what and I don't have images of all the D/S and D/D's to compare it to.