• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry census

11 posts in this topic

Is there a site on the NGC forum where I can go to see where my piddeling little set of Peace Dollars ranks among all the heavy weight, veteran collectors?

I can hear all you guys laughing from here but I'd just like to see how close to the bottom I am...Twowood blush.gif

TwoWood, you find that the vast majority of coin collectors on this forum will be more than willing to help anyone out with a question or for some advice. Very little back biting and agendizing exists here, at least for the moment.

Twowood - Glad to see your set up! I truly hope that things aren't so bad around here that all sets cannot be given a warm welcome.

Hoot

Most of us started in 17th (or lower) place at one time or another. Do not be disheartened, coin collecting is a hobby of attrition and addition. I have been collecting Peace Dollars 30 + years to reach the number seven spot. Plug away at your set and eventually you may be in the top ten. Besides, there is nothing wrong with being 17th considering that you just started.

This Registry is tough competition!

Twowood,

I think you may be okay and slowly raise your way in to the top ten. Unless your unlucky like me. When I first entered my Kennedy set I was in 12th, now I'm way down in 22nd. I fear I'll keep dropping if I don't start buying more.

When I first entered my Kennedy & Ike Proof (tied for 1st) sets, I was in first place, as was my Peace Dollar Set and my Roos. Dime set. All of these sets were first place for a fairly long time. Now my Kennedy Proof set is number 12, my Ike set is gone (into a Capital Plastics set) and my Peace Dollar set is in 7th place, despite my having upgraded half of the Peace dollars to MS64/65 (all of the better dates, in fact). The Roosy set is now number 7. My Saint's set was in first place for quite a while also. Before the set was jumped by the three sets now ahead of me. Such is life in the big time I guess.

I am just glad to be where I am though. I can not complain as I still have 2 first place sets and 1 second place set. Funny thing though, my Kennedy Proof set is much closer in grade to the top sets on the other site (yes, I put it back on that Registry). Such are the vagaries of market based set grading versus grade point based set grading. Get used to it. I complained about both of my half dollar sets' low overall grades and I was called a whiner. So, I moved on to Gold and Type sets, abandoning both the half sets.

I just started adding coins to the registry within the last couple of months. I'm currently #5 on the type registry although I have entered a fairly small number of coins. I've got to more than double my score to get to be #4.

I have all but one of the coins that are on the type set list, but most of my collection is not certified. I'm getting some pieces done over time, but I'll never do them all because I think that it is a waste money to put $10 coins in $15 holders. I also collect a lot of "collector grade" stuff. That means that my early coins are pretty strong, but that my latter stuff isn't. I do have a PR-67 Buffalor nickel but that's very unsual for me, and I may not keep it.

The regesty is fun, but I'm not going to spend any extra money to move up on it. I'll just post coins as I get them certified or upgraded in slabs.

I've posted photos and notes of my coins and would like to compare notes with other collectors.