• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the Grade: PCGS PR 1939 Mercury Dime (REVEALED)

12 posts in this topic

Interesting that most Merc proofs have more cameo contrast on the reverse than the obverse. This one is the opposite. Hard to tell if it's a cameo from those photos, they seem to be a bit blown out to be honest. If it didn't make cameo it looks like it's because of the reverse and some shininess in the neck and recessed jaw area. Extremely PQ and worth a premium at any rate regardless if it received the cameo designation.

I'll go with PR-65. It's very hard to a cameo designation on the Proof coins from this era, so I'll say that it doesn't have one. I have an 1939 Proof dime that has a cameo look, but it didn't get the tag.

I am not sure what is going on beneath "E PLURIBUS UNUM", so I will venture a PR65.

What you are seeing is on the slab. There are also a few marks on the slab, which I think are being interpreted as hits. I should have polished the slab before sending it off for imaging but didn't think about it. :(

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I will post the coin in its PCGS holder probably tomorrow afternoon. The reason why I posted this was to solicit opinions about the contrast. I had contemplated trying to get this into a NGC holder with a star, and was curious as to whether this would be a wise business decision (I don't think it would go cameo because of the reverse). I figured most people would chalk up the contrast to the photography and not actual contrast if I were to liquidate this to pursue a full cameo piece. Also, someone mentioned a potential premium in value for the contrasts. What premium if any (ignore the grade) would you expect over a coin of identical quality without any contrasts at all in terms of percent?

Thanks again!

Edited: I mentioned liquidation - as always with a piece that I post in anticipation of liquidation in this manner, I will not advertise it here [on the NGC forums] so as to avoid creating spam!

I think the premium would depend on the grade. If it's a 64 it might get 65 money. A 65 maybe plus money. Any higher and it may already have all the premium built in.

I think the premium would depend on the grade. If it's a 64 it might get 65 money. A 65 maybe plus money. Any higher and it may already have all the premium built in.

I'll take that as meaning the premium is built in! ;) Thanks to everyone for responding. I think the images may partially be to blame for some of the guesses, but certainly a bump for the contrasts is certainly possible. Here is what PCGS graded it as:

26_obv_slab_SC_zps4cac2888.jpg