• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LGC

11 posts in this topic

My understanding is that the only two U.S. coin grading services prior to PCGS and NGC were the old, old, old ANACS and ACG. I have never heard of LCG.

Edited: I'm not counting the David Hall flips as a grading service per se, but you could throw that in there too.

Take a look at this page, third party graders. I doubt this list is 100% complete but it has a lot. I don't see LCG listed but I do see LIttleton Coin Company, so maybe Littleton Coin Grading?

If it is, it's grossly overgraded. The person to ask would be Conder101, he's our resident expert in this area.

I'd like to see a picture if I could. I do list an LCG, Laser Coin Grading service. They claimed to use a laser scanner and computer grading. They did NOT predate PCGS, probably from the late 1990's. They used a Capital Plastics holder for their shell. I have seen images of one but do not own a specimen. I would like to.

Oops, misread the initials. No I do not list an LGC. I would like to see an image.

Which letters of the alphabet have NOT been used for a grading company's initials?

My understanding is that the only two U.S. coin grading services prior to PCGS and NGC were the old, old, old ANACS and ACG.

Actually I believe PCGS comes in somewhere around the ninth or tenth grading service. There may have been even more. I ran across a reference to a meeting of grading services that took place at an ANA show before PCGS came along, and it was reported that 13 companies attended. Unfortunately no list of the companies was given.

My understanding is that the only two U.S. coin grading services prior to PCGS and NGC were the old, old, old ANACS and ACG.

Actually I believe PCGS comes in somewhere around the ninth or tenth grading service. There may have been even more. I ran across a reference to a meeting of grading services that took place at an ANA show before PCGS came along, and it was reported that 13 companies attended. Unfortunately no list of the companies was given.

Plus the many more that give free MS 70 grades

Which letters of the alphabet have NOT been used for a grading company's initials?

ZBQ -- but that's a flavor of pizza at a local (chain) pizza place. ;)

Very cool! I hope some information surfaces about these companies some day; it is interesting for sure.

ZBQ -- but that's a flavor of pizza at a local (chain) pizza place. ;)

OMG==Obviously My Grades . CBGR==Can't Be Graded Right and my favorite WAG==Wild Guess. :devil: