• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A pleasant surprise! posted by Mohawk

7 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

And I thought I was done with American coins!

So, as many of you know, I haven't been an active collector of many American coins for quite some time. In fact, I made myself so completely miserable trying to collect Classic US coins that I thought I was done with American coins for good....and then this last week happened.....

My girlfriend's parents had a 2011 25th Anniversary Silver Eagle Set that they were looking to sell to help fund a down payment on a new vehicle. Initially, my girlfriend and I were going to take the set to our favorite dealer and sell it to them. But then I saw it and got to thinking about it, and realized that the Silver Eagle really is quite a handsome coin.....and I bought it instead!! They gave me a good price and I paid them more than a dealer would have, so it was good for everybody. It was a nice surprise to find a new growth of interest in a part of numismatics I was done with for good. So, in addition to all of my other projects, I'm now going to do something with Silver Eagles which will likely be a set of the proof issues and maybe the uncirculated mint marked issues as well. So, I guess my lesson for the week is just this.....in our great hobby, never say never :)

Until next time!

~Tom (Mohawk)

See more journals by Mohawk

Tom,

Good luck with your new adventure in ASE's.

Not to forget your current collecting roots and interests, I came across the attached pic while researching WWI ,the German Empire and the Central Powers. Hope you enjoy.

Bismarck quote of the day " Man cannot control the current of events, he can only float with them and steer"

Cheers !

Rich

148070.jpg.dc3f00eee0a085cbe6d2296e9c979889.jpg

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the well wishes in my new venture!! I think I'll have fun with it. Also, thanks for sharing that excellent postcard that you found!! I love stuff like that......Central Powers material is probably my biggest area of historical interest, if I was forced to pick just one. I'm actually researching medals and jetons issued by the Centrals right now. I've found some really cool ones online featuring images much like the one you posted that were likely propaganda pieces. I'm also going to be writing my Master's Thesis this fall on the Young Turks starting with their origins in the 1880's up to their dismissal in November of 1918.......Central Powers history at its best my friend!!

I'm so glad to hear that you have an interest in World War I as well Rich. The Great War is often overlooked in America, sadly. Even though our country was only in it for a year, it is still a massively important piece of American and World history.

And I love the Bismarck quote!!

Best Regards!!

~Tom

Hi Walkerfan,

Being a lover of Walkers, I'm sure that you have been tempted by the Eagles.....they really are beautiful!! I find the Walker Half beautiful myself, but I don't connect with it the same way as I do with the Eagle. I think it's because my main area of interest in American history is post 1960, so I like the modern era but I dislike the presidential profile coins intensely!!! So the Eagle is the best of everything for me.....a beautiful, non Presidential profile American coin that starts in the 1980's. I really think I'm going to enjoy my new venture and I think at least 1 Eagle would be a nice addition to your Walker set to show the Walker's modern descendant.

~Tom