• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting CAC Advertisement

122 posts in this topic

I agree, that would probably go over well with Don like a proverbial Lead Zep. :) While I do personally prefer the aesthetics of the PCGS holder in general, a quality coin that stands on its own looks great in any holder.

I agree, that would probably go over well with Don like a proverbial Lead Zep. :) While I do personally prefer the aesthetics of the PCGS holder in general, a quality coin that stands on its own looks great in any holder.

And a quality coin stands on its own without any stickers on those holders as well ;)

And a quality coin stands on its own without any stickers on those holders as well ;)

I agree! Heck, I've heard that even prior to 1986, there were quality coins that stood on their own merits.

Still, the TPGs made it a lot easier to weed out a lot (not all of) the chaff. And then as now, it pays to have a good relationship with trusted dealers, as you (hopefully) develop your own eye for quality.

"A quality coin will always bring a premium in any holder, with or without a CAC sticker".

I don't think this is always true. Many quality coins don't bring a premium because they are not in the "right plastic" for many buyers.

Many coins are perceived to be quality when they truly not. Learning this is not an easy task. It is one of the reasons why CAC was created....education.

Interesting ad----it is creative. :)

As I've always said----I don't rely on stickers or specific slabs. They are, sometimes, just a starting point for me. If I like them, then I buy it regardless. If it has a sticker then all the better and if not------so what? My only criteria is that it must be NGC or PCGS certified but I still must find what I like.

I thought this was funny :grin:

That being said, I wouldn't post this ATS. What do you guys think?

Do you own any NGC coins ? And if so, do you own any without a CAC sticker ?

Just curious....

Two thoughts

1. It is sad you can not post this ats

2. If you dont feel comfortable posting something ats dont bother posting it here to get your cac fix

Huh? Is this referencing the Above Top Secret Conspiracy Forum? Or what?

Duk

Two thoughts

2. If you dont feel comfortable posting something ats dont bother posting it here to get your cac fix

Duk

No ats means Across The Street, not Above Top Secret. :insane:

And welcome to the NGC Forums Duk! :hi:

Two thoughts

Duk

No ats means Across The Street, not Above Top Secret. :insane:

And welcome to the NGC Forums Duk! :hi:

ATS (Across the Street) means the PCGS forums when used here. When ATS is used ATS, it means the NGC forums. Some of the short hand we use can be confusing at times so feel free to ask questions if you see slang that you don't understand.

Talk about Kool-Aid, Ankur. Dang.

Lance.

Lance, copper toning , I run the CAC message boards as well. The koolaid has been flowing for almost two years, so trust me, I don't need to get a "fix" anywhere.

Talk about Kool-Aid, Ankur. Dang.

Lance.

Lance, copper toning , I run the CAC message boards as well. The koolaid has been flowing for almost two years, so trust me, I don't need to get a "fix" anywhere.

You run "the CAC" or "a CAC" message board? I don't think CAC has a message board.

That is a terrible ad - the top half is talking about how the frame doesn't add anything to the value, and the second half is saying you should add the sticker anyways. It seems self-contradicting and self-defeating.

It says it doesn't add value, but makes it easier to identify solid coins for the grade. Also, adding the sticker gives one a place to get a solid offer for the coin.

Many coins are perceived to be quality when they truly not. Learning this is not an easy task. It is one of the reasons why CAC was created....education.

Problem is Ankur, that CAC represents only one opinion about what a quality coin is for the grade, and frankly, that opinion is only equal or slightly better than many other 'informed numismatist' opinions which can frequently disagree with what a quality coin for the grade is. Many coins are obvious in their quality, many are a matter of subjective opinion. Also, where is the education? I have received no education by sending coins to them, there has been no information given about why a coin beaned or not. Why CAC was created was to drive a strong market for the coins CAC likes, simple as that. The only way to get an education is to request info in advance or call after submitting coins to them and receiving them back after an opinion is reached. If you don't do that, then they tell you nothing about why they reached an opinion, and this aspect of getting info from them has not been largely advertised, such that only a few actually get the so-called education. So please, don't play the education card for a company that set up a sticker to drive a market for their profit, this is not about education, it is about selling coins.

Best, HT

Interesting ad----it is creative. :)

As I've always said----I don't rely on stickers or specific slabs. They are, sometimes, just a starting point for me. If I like them, then I buy it regardless. If it has a sticker then all the better and if not------so what? My only criteria is that it must be NGC or PCGS certified but I still must find what I like.

Well said! (thumbs u

Best, HT

I received an education in 2007 when 6 of the 40 coins I submitted at Coinfest did not sticker. Every one was explained to me. If a coin did not sticker, and you thought it should, I would get on the phone to find out why. Then you'll get some insight......

You can go to CAC in person and JA will sit down and discuss every coin with you. Many people do this on the phone. Based on my experience, John is MUCH more accessible than graders from the two TPGs. It has made me a better grader and helped me to weed out problem coins.

The education is there, you just have to take advantage of it.