• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this 1795 $ ?

23 posts in this topic

I would say that it is a fake also. When I went to the NGC site to check the certification, I got the response, "No coin was found matching that certification number." I might add that even if the coin were genuine, NGC would not have graded it given the surface issues on the reverse.

I am very sorry that this has happened to you, Toyon, because I know how much you enjoy fine quality U.S. coins.

I would say that it is a fake also. When I went to the NGC site to check the certification, I got the response, "No coin was found matching that certification number." I might add that even if the coin were genuine, NGC would not have graded it given the surface issues on the reverse.

I am very sorry that this has happened to you, Toyon, because I know how much you enjoy fine quality U.S. coins.

I would not assume that the OP is a victim. My guess is that he saw the coin listed somewhere and is questioning it. I hope I am right, as the coin looks off to me.

But it must be OK…. It seems to be a fantasy piece as you can see from all the details being different from a real 1795 bust dollar; and the manufacturer certainly did not intend to mislead anyone! :)

Seems like the "owner" of this coin have been auctioning many expensive coins(some raw and some are in the slabs) on Yahoo Japan for several months.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell if it's fake and that's why I asked member's opinions.

I'm really shocked to see fake coins( in fake slabs) being auctioned even in my country.

Seems like the "owner" of this coin have been auctioning many expensive coins(some raw and some are in the slabs) on Yahoo Japan for several months.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell if it's fake and that's why I asked member's opinions.

I'm really shocked to see fake coins( in fake slabs) being auctioned even in my country.

I am glad to hear that you don't own it. (thumbs u

You should not be shocked that fakes like this are offered in Japan. They are being offered in the U.S. as well.

As a noobie with almost zero experience with this particular coin/series, my question is, How good is it? I too think the font on the slab is unlike anything I have ever seen. So, considering only the coin, would you guys consider it a "good quality" fake? Are there any major "red flags" about this coin, other than it just looks "off"?

Just wondering what all we can gleam from this thread... as it seems like a very valuable learning opportunity relatively speaking.

Thanks for sharing OP.

Chris.

Always good to ask first Toyo as there are so many more knowledgeable people here.. (thumbs u

Happy Birthday also to Brandon. :banana:

Chris,

The first step is to carefully research what you are considering buying. There are a lot of on-line and printed references. For early dollars, the Bowers Encyclopedia might be the best single source. There are also multiple counterfeit detection books available (check Wizard Coin Supply).

As a noobie with almost zero experience with this particular coin/series, my question is, How good is it? I too think the font on the slab is unlike anything I have ever seen. So, considering only the coin, would you guys consider it a "good quality" fake? Are there any major "red flags" about this coin, other than it just looks "off"?

Just wondering what all we can gleam from this thread... as it seems like a very valuable learning opportunity relatively speaking.

Thanks for sharing OP.

Chris.

No, this coin is not a very good fake. It is good enough to fool a number of Ebay buyers, most likely, but one look and even someone unfamiliar with the series (like me) could tell that it was fake. The slab is even more obvious.

That is a counterfeit struck from a known pair of dies... if you read, "The Numismatist" -which is the ANA's magazine- "Coin in the Classroom" issue - September 2013 - page 92/93, it shows three "1795" draped bust dollars... if you look on miss liberty's neck you will see two depressions, bellow the shoulder is also a bigger depression. If you look at the stars on the left side you will also notice raised lines...

The auction ended and the coin sold for $6500

Taro, does the auction site allow you to report the item as a counterfeit? And/or to contact the winning bidder?

Hi Mark

They used to allow us to contact the winning bidder, but that's more than several years ago.

Today, I can't even see the winner's ID.

I managed to find a link to report the auctioner about this auction, but they say they won't accept a report after the auction has ended. I doubt if they would have taken my report seriously anyway, though.

Hi Mark

They used to allow us to contact the winning bidder, but that's more than several years ago.

Today, I can't even see the winner's ID.

I managed to find a link to report the auctioner about this auction, but they say they won't accept a report after the auction has ended. I doubt if they would have taken my report seriously anyway, though.

Thanks for trying, Taro.

if you look on miss liberty's neck you will see two depressions, bellow the shoulder is also a bigger depression. If you look at the stars on the left side you will also notice raised lines...

Those the marks on the neck and shoulder (among others) were on the genuine coin used to create the hub the die for this piece came from. The lines by the stars were also on that original coin but they were one of the diagnostics of that particular 1795 variety, so be careful using them to condemn a 1795 as a fake.

The hub created from that original coin was used to create several 1795 dated dies, then the date was removed and it was used to create many undated dies. Those dies were then punched with other dates and used to create fakes dated for every year from 1796 - 1803