• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Misaligned 1988 P Kennedy

5 posts in this topic

I'd decided that after buying mostly slabbed coins I'd work on a Dansco of Kennedys. Until recently I wouldn't have considered buying a clad coin. Things are going well, I had most of the 40% laying around and I started getting into receiving 20 coins for less than I had been paying for one.

Then last week I was going through red and blue cellos and putting em in the book.

I noticed that the reverse of my 88P had the tailfeathers that should be at 12 o'clock at 7 o'clock? I thought I messed up putting the coin in the book, the obverse was aligned like the others on the page.

I saw an article about a 76 that was misaligned, but not nearly this far. Otherwise the coin looks normal, not a great strike, but MS maybe 62? It was in a cello until last Friday.

Has anybody seen this ?

Without photos, I'm only guessing, but this is probably a rotated die rather than a misaligned die.

Chris

That's a pretty good one. Most of them are rotated the other direction.

About .7% of '88-P halfs in the mint set are rotated.