• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

label/census question

4 posts in this topic

When you send a coin to NGC or PCGS for cross over and it crosses do they send the other company the labels to update the census? I apologize in advance if this info is readily available my quick search did not find anything on the subject.

Nick

Sounds like an easy thing to do, but I do not believe either company notifies the other on successful crossovers. The old label is returned to the submitter.

I had the same question a while back (I had a finest known coin, pop 1) and was considering trying to cross it but didn't want the pop data to report "2". I was speaking to someone who is very credible, and he told me that you could request the label back if when it crosses..

He also told me that although he wasn't exactly sure how it is now, but that there was a time in the past when the TPG's would actually pay .50C for every label that was sent in. That was their attempt at incentivizing the crack-out guys to actually take the time to send them... and then they could at least try to keep the census #'s as accurate as possible. He told me that he is pretty sure they no longer pay anything for labels, possibly because of the accounting nightmare that would become...

He also said that he was pretty sure you could still send your label back to TPG, and request that the census data is updated to reflect the coin no longer being in that holder. -He wasn't 100% sure that they still do that either but was assuming they still do since he hadn't heard otherwise.

Again, I haven't tried myself, so cant confirm.. but the guy who explained this to me currently holds a pretty high position at HA. So, im guessing he is a legitimate source.