• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bank "give away" Morgans

18 posts in this topic

Interesting commercial collectible, but it's unlikely that NGC would seal and certify the coin in its bank holder. GSA coins went through a multi-step process and were put in the holders by the government. Banks simply pulled these from bags and stuck them in the cards.

Is the S&L still in business?

I agree with RWB and do not think that NGC would preserve the provenance of your coins since many banks used this same technique and since the coins weren't actually "sealed" within the plastic box, literally any coin could be placed in there.

Yea... but NGC "seals" those GSA holders don't they? And beforehand, the GSA holder can easily be open w/ a pocket knife until it receives the NGC tamper proof tape, so why can't these be sealed the same way? other than of course, enough area for the grade to show up. It's just a thought, I like them especially since the phone# is so antiquated. I've some in black also... much more rectangular in overall shape.

I like them the way they are as well, Nice History...

I have two from My Childhood, Still remember opening up the Account...

Then getting Loans Against It from the Folks, must of spent that ten times...lol

Found them a few years ago after the Folks Passed so they're Near and Dear...

Why spend money to have them graded?

Exactly!!!

In my experience, these are extremely popular in their original holders, and bring strong premiums at auction. I would not get it certified unless you were absolutely convinced it was MS-66 or better (most are not).

Yea... but NGC "seals" those GSA holders don't they? And beforehand, the GSA holder can easily be open w/ a pocket knife until it receives the NGC tamper proof tape, so why can't these be sealed the same way? other than of course, enough area for the grade to show up. It's just a thought, I like them especially since the phone# is so antiquated. I've some in black also... much more rectangular in overall shape.

Huh?

GSA Dollar cases were sealed in their plastic cases exactly the same way as the Eisenhower Dollars were. Opening them with a pocket knife shows evidence that the case was opened 99.9% of the time and on a few occasions, the case is actually destroyed.

Huh?

GSA Dollar cases were sealed in their plastic cases exactly the same way as the Eisenhower Dollars were. Opening them with a pocket knife shows evidence that the case was opened 99.9% of the time and on a few occasions, the case is actually destroyed.

Twue... but that little tamper proof tape NGC uses could be deployed on a ziplock baggie if one was so inclined to want it.

And no; not even one Peace $ in the lot.

regards,m