• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Republic of Minerva

6 posts in this topic

Please put your Photobucket photos in folders before you post the images. Not after...

Or else edit the link.

And you kids, get off my lawn! :)

Sorry - the photos were there. I did a bit of house cleaning in my file and accidentally removed this one.

Interesting bimetallic.

Minerva's face, while not exactly pretty,has a kind expression.

The reverse torch type immediately brought Roosevelt dimes to mind.

Tell us what you know about this "Republic of Minerva".

This coin is in the Krause U.W.C. volume, I'll bet.

Its a 1973 one-year only minted, 10,500 piece mintage, 35 Minerva Dollars face value, PROOF coin from the South Pacific island nation of Minerva. Minerva's longitude and latitude are listed on the obverse of the coin. And as stated on the reverse of coin, it is comprised of 24 grams of .999 fine silver, layered with 10 grains (0.65 grams) of 24K gold. This coin was struck at the (privately owned) Letcher Mint in Lancaster, California.

My father gave it to me as he collected some odd pieces such as silver Roger Sherman (below) which I still do not know where he obtained it from and the Crabtree mint Duck Club coins.

imagejpg5_zpsf88bf09b.jpg

imagejpg6_zps01d5740a.jpg

imagejpg1_zps722286eb.jpg

imagejpg4_zps46babf07.jpg

imagejpg3_zps332998f8.jpg

imagejpg2_zps90d3e02b.jpg