• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will NGC holder this coin? Opinions please.

15 posts in this topic

This proof Seated Dime has no hairlines and exhibits stunning natural toning. Problem is the scratch across Liberty's breast which is pretty much the only distraction on the whole coin. ANACS has holdered it without a net grade. I'd really like to get it into an NGC holder but I suspect it would wind up in a body bag. Any opinions? Pics are attached. Thanks!

659234-_10_1859.JPG.a75710a0012178c49ff599687bbb2b01.JPG

My opinion is they will slab it. I bought a seated dime with a significant staple scratch on both sides. I even had NGC review the grade and they were happy with their grade of 63 saying it was a gem coin with a scratch.

1853-arrows-dime-ms63-o.jpg

Either way is a gorgeous coin. I would leave it alone in the ANACS holder. ANACS is a solid number two behind NGC in my book. I do not buy PCGS and never will.

Ditto! ANACS does a great job!

Leo

Thanks all for the comments. The coin itself looks way better than the pics. To quote Carl, it is a gem proof with a scratch, albeit a significant one.

The reason I would like it in an NGC holder is simply so that I can add it to my registry set. I really wish NGC would consider allowing ANACS and NCS holdered coins into the registry.

I am leaning towards sending it in for crossover. Thanks again for everyone's input.

i would send in the coin as

i have seen worse "problem" coins in holders both pcgs and ngc

but that does not change the fact that it is subjective but it is worth a shot

michael

It may very well be a planchet defect but accoring to the no-grade book, NGC will body bag a planchet defect as well. Never understood this but that's what's in the book. The coin is off to NGC today - I'll post the results here in a few weeks.

Looks like a great coin. I also don't believe ANACS is behind anyone as far as grading is concerned. That is a myth. They do just as well as PCGS or NGC. The problem with ANACS is that many of their coins get cracked out (such as yours) and get sent to the big two for monetary reasons. What is left in the ANACS holders you end up seeing are all the less-than-desireable coins so it makes them look bad....

jom

I promised to follow up on this thread so here goes....

Well its been two months and the travels of this little coin are almost over. I first submitted the coin to NGC in the ANACS holder for crossover. I was a little disappointed when they bagged it as artificially toned. Of course, its a little hard to make that determination while its in the ANACS holder so I kind of understand why they did it.

When it came back, I made the mistake of sending the coin across the street, also in the ANACS holder for crossover. Not only did they bag it, but they sent it back to me without even an explanation! What a waste of money that was. I guess if your name isn't David Hall, they don't really give two #$%^& about you.

Finally, I decided to do what I should have done to begin with. I cracked it out of the ANACS holder and sent it in to NGC raw. I don't have the coin back yet but I do have the grade. Not only did NGC slab it this time, but they graded it 2 points higher than ANACS! A PF-64! I thought it was better than the ANACS grade and NGC confirmed it!

In the new plastic, its worth at least double what I paid, if not more. But its not for sale!

(((I was a little disappointed when they bagged it as artificially toned. Of course, its a little hard to make that determination while its in the ANACS holder so I kind of understand why they did it.)))

That does seem strange though. To me, from an image AND still in the slab, it looks naturally toned, and very nice at that!

(((Not only did NGC slab it this time, but they graded it 2 points higher than ANACS! A PF-64! I thought it was better than the ANACS grade and NGC confirmed it!)))

I think that grade is too high. Although planchet defects, which I assume they determined that to be, are generally a natural part of the coin manufacturing process for business strike coins, that's not necessarily true for proof coins. As I understand it, those planchets were hand selected, and that one should have been disqualified for being too defective (for a proof).

Oh well, it is still a very beautiful coin, and I personally would pay a premium for it as a collector.

James

Congrats to you!

Here are some thoughts!

Now the coin may be overgraded with that scratch or defect which I believe should be noted on the holder regardless. Down the road, when you sell it or the next guy does, there will be the tendency to keep a tight lip on the flaw. But a proof of this calibur with only 800 made, it must be a tough coin to come by and stand on it's own merits.

Leo

But a proof of this calibur with only 800 made, it must be a tough coin to come by and stand on it's own merits.

That's for sure, I would be real proud to have that dime in my type set! IMHO it's pretty tough finding proof seated liberty dimes with stars, without spending lots of thousands of dollars that is, and you have a great looking coin at a high grade level especially for the type.

Well worth the effort, congards thumbsup2.gif