• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counter Token Fauver-1330/1275 Need Info Please.

3 posts in this topic

What I think I know about this piece so far: I believe it is a Fauver-1330/1275 and the rarity of a R-7 or possibly higher. It is an early gaming token and this particular one, as you can see, is a $20 Gold Double Eagle type. Struck in bronze/gilt. This one retains a very large portion of the gilt.

I do not own or have access to any of the L.B. Fauver Token books and am posting this to see if anyone else does, who can confirm the classification number as well as the rarity as claimed based upon a copy of the book they may have or other resources that I have yet to find.

I have a listing and a short historical background in my Tokens and Medals book where it shows a variant of this type of token which is a much more common variety. These were struck in by Ludwig Lauer of Nuremburg, Germany in or about the 1850's and were used during the California Gold Rush in the 1850's and later in games of chance right along side gold and silver coins as well as gold dust and nuggets.

Weight: 18.8 grams

Diameter: 34mm

If anyone has better or more accurate information on this particular piece I would appreciate your sharing it.

Spiel_Marke_Double_Eagle_Token.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I found your counter in Fauver's Volume 1 on eagles and double eagles. It is 1330/1275, which he rated R-4 at the time of publication (1983).

On reverse 1240, the eagle's wingtip is above the (I)N, while on your piece it is pointing directly at the N.

Hi David. I appreciate that info. I originally had it listed here as a 1275 but later saw what I thought was an identical match in an old auction and that was why I changed the reverse die in the question.

R-4. OK. Now would that be the listing for the Brass piece or the Gilt?

I had this other info supposedly from the same book.

"Fauver as 1330/1275. He rates this gilt piece an R-7 (10-20 known) and prices an XF in 1983 (31 years ago) at $20."

Do you see a distinction between the gilt and bronze/brass?

The link was removed since the site had removed that listing for one reason or another - This Auction Record for Douglas C. Daniels Game Counter and Spiel Marke Collection November of 2011 listed only one as gilt and that is why I changed my thought on this piece.

Here is a picture of the Bronze one that was sold. I did not find a picture of the Gilt one.

Photo Here