• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old coppers

8 posts in this topic

I have to say that there is something really cool about holding a high grade cent or half cent from the first 50 years of our country's history. Especially if it has that sparkle of red or purple that you sometimes find.

I have a good number of well worn large cents, but I have to admit I am getting more enjoyment putting together a high grade type set than I ever did filling holes in my one per date album. I think I might like old copper coins more than my silver or nickel coins. I am not ready to say I enjoy collecting old copper more than gold, but they are close. Unfortunately, if you are looking at high enough grades, they can be close in price too.

Anyone here collecting large copper cents and half cents?

Like you I got tired of most collections that consist of filling holes in albums by year. That is why I have been collecting type coins since the mid 1960s.

Back in the early 1990s I collected half cents by die variety. It was fun while it lasted, but after reaching a certain point I hit the wall hard. The varieties that I needed to finish were simply not available, almost at any price. The coins were in "strong hands" and not going to be available any time soon. That's when I became a dealer and used my half cent collection for seed money.

As for early copper I do enjoy it, but not as much as early gold. High grade early copper coins are impressive, and they are also expensive and hard to find. In reality the really nice pieces will cost you more than most of the retail price guides claim. As for pieces with original red on them, those are few and far between. Most of the pieces that show red have been helped along.

Here are a couple of early copper pieces from my type set. The 1795 large cent, Sheldon 76b (variety diagnostics: "ONE CENT" high, plain edge), shows tiny patches of mint red when you examine it with a strong glass. This variety is the most common Liberty Cap large cent.

1795centO2_zps5c151d65.jpg1795centR2.jpg

The 1806 half cent is the most common Draped Bust half cent that comes in Mint State with at least some red on it. This is an 1806 Cohen 4 (diagnostics: large "6", stems on the wreath on the reverse). These pieces mostly came from the "Chapmen Brothers Hoard." The Chapman brothers were coin dealers in Philadelphia in the early 1900s. They had several hundred of these coins. While these half cents were Mint State, many of them were not well struck, especially on the reverse. This piece grades MS-62, but it is above average with respect to strike.

1806HalfCentO.jpg1806HalfCentR.jpg

I am working on a date set of Large cents and a type set of half cents. The half cent type set is complete, but the large cent date set has a long ways to go. My advice if you want to purchase a nice example is to find the best brown example you can. Many still have shades of red that are still present and they are cheaper than RB examples. Here are a few favs:

1820 Cent PCGS MS65 RB CAC

15owf2t.jpg

345dlyr.jpg

This example is PCGS MS65 Brown CAC. It was MUCH cheaper than a RB counterpart but looks just as attractive.

29mppno.jpg

Big small and large cent collector here. Like you I am really into the high grade early dates. The most enjoyment I have ever had was picking up a high grade 1835 large cent at a consignment store for $50. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Yes I'm into the early large cents, but at my income level there is no way I can chase the better grade coins let alone anything high grade or with red (which I don't care for.)

I also like those old coppers very much. I buy them in more of the lower grades and keep some and resell some. Do not have tons of money tied up in them that way. It is also fun when you make a few bucks.