• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1885-CC Morgan with broken die

7 posts in this topic

I have searched the great big internet, and have not come upon a discussion about this 1885-CC Morgan. The broken die is VERY visible. Even on VAM I have not come upon this numbered type. The Die Break goes from the "O" of "OF" to the "R" of "AMERICA" Also from "O" of ONE DOLLAR" to the "S" of "STATES". I have more pictures if anyone needs to see them. Does anyone have any info as to whether this is rare, or is a common grade? Any info would help. I am hoping from searching that this is more rare than common. Wouldn't that be GREAT! I am looking forward to any input :) Thanks guys!

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

Morgan dollar varieties are not cataloged if they have only die cracks. Check out the descriptions on the VAMWorld introduction.

It is similar to the 2A with those inclusions near the neck. Mine has those as well. The 2A does not describe the Break. I realize VAM does not list Die Breaks. That's why I did not refer to it completely. I am interested in this one because it is SOOO great of a break. I am not sure if I have seen one this bad and not listed somewhere. The pictures do it little justice. If anyone has any other references to the 1885 break, let me know. This one must have come through very late in the line before they replaced it. Thanks again guys!

Does yours have the dash under the "8"? I can't tell because of the lighting.

I used to have an 1899-O that had a crack on the reverse that extended around the entire perimeter. Like you, I thought it was something special until I started learning about VAM's.

You have to keep in mind that cracks can change with every strike, so it isn't unusual not to be able to match yours completely with the file photos. However, there are some portions of the cracks that are the same for the 2A and yours.

I still believe yours is an EDS of the 2A before the clash occurred.

Chris

Thanks for the input guys. Sometimes hoping yours is rare, even though this one may be, you hope for the "WOW" posts. And the "That is worth BIG bucks!!" lol..... I get what your saying. Dis breaks do not help the value. In most cases anyways. :) Thanks again for the input.

Thanks for the input guys. Sometimes hoping yours is rare, even though this one may be, you hope for the "WOW" posts. And the "That is worth BIG bucks!!" lol..... I get what your saying. Dis breaks do not help the value. In most cases anyways. :) Thanks again for the input.

They're die cracks, not breaks. Breaks are more extreme. Just so you know.